PDA

View Full Version : WTB Small Clam

NanoReef
11-22-2005, 06:31 PM
I am looking for a small clam of any sort. i will be in Winnipeg on the 8th and 9th of december and i am not sure that any of the stores will have small ones. PM me!

OCDP
11-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Are you aware that "small" clams require more care than say a 4-5" clam (may it be crocea or maxima) I think those two are what you're after.. colour wise, and size wise.

NanoReef
11-22-2005, 10:01 PM
yea i realize that. i have a squamosa clam in my tank right now and he is pretty big so i just want a small clam so that in 2 months when my 90 is up, he will live in there but for now, he will have to live in my 20 and THATS why i want a small one!! lol

muck
11-22-2005, 10:02 PM
why not wait till you setup your 90.. :confused:

Ruth
11-22-2005, 10:22 PM
I'm not a clam expert but I did do quite a bit of research before I bought one (I have 6 now). Not sure what you mean my "small" but from what I understand anything around the 2-3" clams require direct feeding using some kind of live phyto such as DT's or they won't survive. The problem with this in a small tank is the danger of polluting your tank. They do seem to do better in nutrient rich water from my observations and research. If by small you mean something around a 4" you should be fine as long as your lights are up to the task which I am sure they are. All of my clams have been shipped or transported by me and they seem to do just fine so you may want to look at shipping if you can't find one locally. I notice that J&L has a couple on their website now. Just my 2 pennies.

Murminator
11-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Sorry to hi-jack but is there a site where we can learn about clams because one day I want one so I guess I should start research today :cool:

muck
11-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Check out this then Murray.. :cool:

http://www.clamsdirect.com/phpbb2/

NanoReef
11-23-2005, 01:23 PM
thats a good site. i will have to wait a long time for my 90 to be ready. im going to leave it a good 3 months before anything, coral or fish goes in.

OCDP
11-23-2005, 02:34 PM
What kind of lighting are you using right now on your current tank?

*edit* Just seen in a previous post that you're using PC's on the 20g. Not sure what your plan is, but PC's will most definitely not be sufficient for either maxima or crocea clams. Metal halides is a must for these creatures!

NanoReef
11-23-2005, 04:59 PM
there will be 2 250w MH and a couple VHO's on my 90

Diana
11-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Ive been told by numerous sources that PCs will keep a clam alive, you just need metal halides to bring out thier colors.

True or false?

-Diana

muck
11-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Most likely it will live under PCs but will it do very well? I doubt it.

OCDP
11-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Sorry I suppose I should have said that. In order for it to thrive in your aquarium it will require metal halides.

NanoReef
11-23-2005, 10:16 PM
the one i am baby sitting is a squamosa and he is doing great. i guess i will have to wait then :sad:

Invigor
11-23-2005, 10:47 PM
and a couple VHO's

booooo...t5!

NanoReef
11-24-2005, 02:23 AM
lol, which are better for straight actinic???

albert_dao
11-24-2005, 03:14 AM
Tridacna gigas is almost completely photosynthetic even at small sizes. My friend Cyril has NEVER fed his ever; it's always been under PC's (just about a year now, first in a 10 gallon nano, now a 33, always on the sand) and has doubled in sizes from 2" to 3.75".

Other clams like maxima and crocea are likewise less food dependant, relying mostly on their zooanthellae. But keep in mind that they are far more light demanding than the clams like the hippopus and derasas, which will more than likely exhibit very reduced growth without feedings of phyto.

Size is one thing, species selection is another. Keep that in mind when choosing a clam.

NanoReef
11-24-2005, 04:21 PM
so if i get a gigas, you think he will be ok???

albert_dao
11-25-2005, 05:53 AM
Maaaaybe, my friend's is. You might have a hard time finding a gigas though.

Ruth
11-25-2005, 12:56 PM
You know for the health of a clam you are probably better off waiting until you get your new tank set up and stable with the correct light. You always hear stories of a friend of a friend that has such and such that does just fine under PC or NO light (or whatever the case may be) Yes there are exeptions to most things in this hobby and other things but that is just what they are - exceptions.
A Gigas clam will get huge in time and if you research clams you will find that most sources recommend MH lights for clams.
I have 6 clams in my 230g - crocea and squamosa - all doing well and all under MH light. I didn't add any of them until my tank had been set up for 7 months and was stable. With my new tank that has been set up for 6 weeks I won't consider adding any for another 6 months.
It's your tank and you can do whatever you want but clams are expensive and will have the best chance under good lighting and water conditions.

NanoReef
11-25-2005, 01:17 PM
ok, thanks for all your info. i think i will wait. i jst love the look of the squamosa in my tank right now, he looks so neat!

andresont
11-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry I suppose I should have said that. In order for it to thrive in your aquarium it will require metal halides.
I had a crocia clam under T5 ! 30 watt yea rold light for a month after i sold out my MH and VHO so every case is different.
Clam was doing just fine opening up as if under MH

OCDP
11-25-2005, 03:59 PM
You always hear stories of a friend of a friend that has such and such that does just fine under PC or NO light (or whatever the case may be) Yes there are exeptions to most things in this hobby and other things but that is just what they are - exceptions. .

:razz: