PDA

View Full Version : Salifert Phosphate Kit

Johnny Reefer
11-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Is it just me, or do other people have a problem with getting one level spoonful of the PO4-2 reagent? :sad:

Anyone have any tricks up their sleeve on how to do this without wasting valuable and expensive reagent?

I never really know, for sure, what my PO4 readings are because I have yet to find an easy method of measuring an exact level spoonful. Up to now I have just "eyeballed" the amount.

Another thing, while I'm at it, given the size of the granules sorta makes the reagent fluffy, if you know what I mean. Should the reagent be compacted into the spoon?

Thanx much,

Ruth
11-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Same problem for me. I have ordered a Hanna colorimeter (sp) which is supposed to be much better and more accurate for measuring this.

Johnny Reefer
11-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi Ruth,

This one?

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/567/cid/155

What about this one? Anyone familiar with this one?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/testkits.php?product_ID=ct-mcm750

Thanx much,

Ruth
11-22-2005, 04:49 PM
The first one is the one that I ordered (I think anyway) I am still waiting for it to arrive.

StirCrazy
11-22-2005, 05:40 PM
for most of us Phosphate kits are useless anyways as they only measure inorganic phosphates and not organic phosphates. I know my tank has a huge organic phosphate problem but yet my kits still read zero :rolleyes:

Steve

dirtyreefer
11-22-2005, 07:01 PM
The salifert PO4 test kit I find really sucks. The readings between levels on the bar chart is so ambiguous, and very difficult to tell from looking through your test vial. If I had any color, I would not be able to distinguish between the first bar and the second bar which is useless to me.

There is the Merck test kit that JL's sells for around $130 (don't quote me on the price however it's not on their website yet) which is supposed to be highly accurate and lab grade standard. Big bucks though.

Gizmo
11-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Why cant someone just invent electronic testers for us colorblind folks. :rolleyes:
I love the fact that Pinpoint has some of these in sensors, but nothing for Phosphates, Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia, Iodine, etc... the stuff that we really need to test for.

Johnny Reefer
11-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Why cant someone just invent electronic testers for us colorblind folks. :rolleyes:
I love the fact that Pinpoint has some of these in sensors, but nothing for Phosphates, Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia, Iodine, etc... the stuff that we really need to test for.

They do.
See the links I've posted in the third post down from the top.

Cheers,