PDA

View Full Version : ** Canceled ** Group order - Salt

AndyL
11-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Alrighty folks,

Dunno about the rest of the world, but I know a few of us are getting down to the bottom of the pails from the last salt order... I'm firming up pricing/timing with suppliers, would like to have the order in by the first week of december, salt arriving just in time to be put under your favorite reefers xmas tree...

Choices will likely be Kent and IO, if there's enough interest and it can work in the timeline, I can definitely get pricing on other preferences.

We may do things a bit differently this time around - looks like we can get a better price with a single payment, so we may choose to go that route. Which means don't order if you can't afford it - as you'll be chastised loudly and publicly.

Josh (blkwolfe) is willing to haul edmonton orders to edmonton.

I should have pricing by the end of the week, also need to come up with ideas on how to handle the $ - some obviously wont be willing to prepay as I know some of you don't know me from a hole in the ground. COD can cause a whole other headache with transport to edmonton... Anyone have some bright ideas?

Expect pricing to be in the ballpark of the previous order - we'll know for sure with a better idea of how much is being ordered.

So, the question really is - who is considering how many pails of what? I will obviously confirm with everyone before ordering.

Andy

impreza
11-22-2005, 07:01 AM
I'd be down for some IO. Probably 1-2 pails.

monza
11-22-2005, 01:33 PM
How much a pail are you talking? I know it was mentioned last group order but I don't recall. Also I'm sure a local retailer would match the price, just my two cents worth.

Dave

rossb
11-22-2005, 04:19 PM
I would be in for a couple of pails as well, I can prepay also.

Seriak
11-22-2005, 05:03 PM
I would be in for a couple depending on the price. IO for me!

BMW Rider
11-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I'll get in for (at least) two pails of Kent.

Jim Barry
11-22-2005, 06:40 PM
I am in for 2 pails of Kent

AndyL
11-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Not finalized, but JL's keeping the previous order's pricing, 39.95 for 160g of IO, 46.68 for 200g of kent. Like previous order, 5$/pail "shipping". (Sorry folks edited, had the wrong previous price)

Still working on some better pricing...

Andy

SJSobczyk
11-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Is a pail of Reef Crystals available?

If so, i am in!

Let me know

Steve

andrewsk
11-23-2005, 10:24 PM
I Would like to get 3 IO buckets if the price is still around $45 or less. I can prepay.

Thanks

wayner
11-25-2005, 02:18 AM
I'd be in for a pail of Kent.

monza
11-25-2005, 04:35 AM
If Reef crystals is ago I'll take lots at that price.

Dave

kari
11-25-2005, 11:58 AM
1-Kent for me please

outtafocus
11-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Sign me up for one Kent pail.

blood_hound
11-26-2005, 08:03 PM
2 pale of IO for me

scuglass
11-26-2005, 08:49 PM
depending on price id prolly be down for 2 0r 3

AndyL
11-30-2005, 05:46 AM
Ok folks...

Well it would appear J&L would have the best pricing again... Sorry, no availability on Reefcrystals - unless wendell gets me pricing pdq, and we decide to swing by oceans on the way back (assuming I don't just LTL it)

Your costs would be:
Instant Ocean 160g - 44.95
Kent 200g - 51.68

Salt would be hitting town before xmas specific date - can't quite give you that yet, can depend on LTL carrier, or choice of trip dates.

Andy

impreza
11-30-2005, 07:16 AM
So how should we do this? Do we call J&L and pay for it and ask them to put it on a "Calgary" order?

AndyL
11-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Nope, you'll all be expected to pay COD.

Andy.

Seriak
11-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Just let me know when and where and I will have the Cash ready!

blood_hound
11-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Pm me when it the salt is in town :biggrin:

outtafocus
11-30-2005, 10:13 PM
so the salt would be delivered to one location in calgary and we all pick up from there?

adidas
11-30-2005, 10:44 PM
put me down for 2 buckets of kent if not too late.

impreza
11-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Sounds good, I'm still down for 2 pails of I/O!

AndyL
12-07-2005, 02:35 AM
Appologies folks,

Going to cancel the order, seems to be the wrong time of year to plan this... We're nowhere near the numbers needed to make this workable...

Hopefully big als has their usual boxing day sale!

Andy

adidas
12-07-2005, 02:37 AM
no problem.

outtafocus
12-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Big Als has the IO salt stock, piles of it.
I guess I will be seeing you all there.

digital-audiophile
12-08-2005, 02:38 AM
What kind of Boxing day specials does big als usually have?

SJSobczyk
12-08-2005, 03:37 AM
What kind of Boxing day specials does big als usually have?

They mark everything down to normal market value....... :eek:

Steve

digital-audiophile
12-08-2005, 05:20 PM
lol! Well I find Big Al's to be very fair on thier livestock, but some of their dry goods are "out there" - Hence why I usually spend my weekends going from lfs to lfs hunting for deals :mrgreen:

SJSobczyk
12-08-2005, 05:36 PM
I find it easier to just buy online. But usually if you talk to Nate at Big Al's he will price match pretty easily. He seems like the only knowledgable staff member. Brody told me to go elsewhere yesterday because he wouldnt price match. Now that is customer service!

Steve

andestang
12-08-2005, 06:27 PM
I find it easier to just buy online. But usually if you talk to Nate at Big Al's he will price match pretty easily. He seems like the only knowledgable staff member. Brody told me to go elsewhere yesterday because he wouldnt price match. Now that is customer service!

Ya, got the same thing. Questioned about a Flame Hawk - $100.00 , somewhere else in town $40.00. :confused:

Willito
12-27-2005, 03:38 AM
seeing how quickly the salt disappeared today from the stores, could we get this group order ignited again? Maybe not this week, but perhaps early in the new year or something like that.

outtafocus
12-27-2005, 03:44 AM
I would be in for a few buckets on a new order.
I was only able to pick up one bucket today, and that was only because a very nice guy I was standing next to decided he didnt want his fifth bucket, and asked if I wanted it.

Delphinus
12-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Me too, I was just thinking today actually that I would be ordering some salt from J&L in the next little while.

BMW Rider
12-27-2005, 03:44 PM
I've still got one full bucket of Kent on hand, but that will last only about two months. I'd be interested in restocking with a couple of buckets if this comes together.

AndyL
12-27-2005, 04:52 PM
I'll put some thought into putting another one together... Problem becomes transport - if you're not planning to actually drive out with a big truck, it's not very economical to ship...

Cost for LTL freight is pretty extreme right now, mostly on the fuel surcharge (and you've got to remember, a skid (24 pails) weighs 1200lbs). Roughly translates into almost 10$/pail just in freight.

I'll give it some further thought, and see if there might be some cheaper LTL carriers around.

Andy

Delphinus
12-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Even with $10 per bucket that still puts it cheaper than anything local.

It's not like we can do without salt; eventually we'll (or at least me if just speaking for myself) going to need to buy some. I'm on my last bucket and it's 1/2 way spent. I'll be ordering salt anyhow eventually, so we might as well pool our order.

EmilyB
12-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Just a reminder, Mike at Pisces has done a group salt discount for us in the past.

He has IO on special right now and I spoke with him about discounting Kent, which he said he would by $10 per bucket. I really don't need any at the moment, but if you are needing some, I'd say give him some thanks, also for the buckets of salt he donated for the last meeting.

If you go buy some, talk to Mike and tell him you are a canreefer.

Willito
12-27-2005, 11:04 PM
who has the best pricing right now on IO/Kent and how much is it? If it's anything below $40, plus the ~$10 for shipping, it's still alot better than anything local right now.

AndyL
12-27-2005, 11:37 PM
From JL with 10$ (estimated) shipping you're looking at 56.68 for Kent and 49.95 for IO. Still a heck of a deal...

OA's able to match JL on IO, but not kent... But they offer that discount on livestock.

Maybe we need to twist Blkwolfe's arms, I'm pretty sure he's feeling the need for some live rock PDQ :lol:

Andy

Willito
12-29-2005, 01:08 AM
Andy, should we start a new thread to see who is still interested and get a proper count on how many buckets we need. That's assuming your taking care of this group order of course. I will contact Mike from Pisces tomorrow and see what his prices are... if he's anywhere close to J&L's. Coolio?

AndyL
12-29-2005, 05:27 AM
Honestly I'm not up for one right now... Little more work than I can handle right at the moment, but it would be advisable to start a new thread - talked to josh tonight about it... I know he needs LR, and can be armtwisted into doing a big JL group order again.

Andy

Willito
12-29-2005, 11:42 PM
If we go in for atleast 30 buckets, Mike at Pisces can do $55 ea. for IO and $65 for Kent (200g).

Delphinus
12-30-2005, 02:43 AM
Wow at that price I'm pretty much set. I'm in for 4 let's say. When can we go in and buy, do we need to have a headcount of 30 buckets first?

BMW Rider
12-30-2005, 03:35 PM
If we go in for atleast 30 buckets, Mike at Pisces can do $55 ea. for IO and $65 for Kent (200g).

Is that a total of 30 buckets combined, or of each brand? At any rate that is as good as getting it shipped in from J&L so I'd take two Kent minimum. I'll take a couple more if needed to boost the numbers.

Delphinus
12-30-2005, 05:29 PM
I forgot to mention I'm in for the Kent same as BMW Rider.

Delphinus
01-03-2006, 05:38 PM
So I'm a little confused as to what's going on here. Is someone spearheading the coordination effort?

I spoke to Mike at Pisces yesterday as I am now in fairly urgent need of salt, having used up the last bit that I had this weekend. Mike told me the deal for Canreefers is that we will need to order a skid of salt ourselves. In the meantime there's no discount on any salt they currently have.

So, if this is happening in the next week, then I'm in; I'll buy one bucket of salt from somewhere to tie me over in the meantime. However if it it not happening in the next week, then I'm out and will just order the 4 buckets from J&L. If anyone wants to jump in on that with me, shoot me a PM and we'll just go ahead with it. I'm sorry but I can't wait on this any longer, I was hoping to have participated in the December order .. then that didn't happen, so I thought I'd just buy some at Big Al's, then it turns out that Big Al's didn't have a whole lot of Kent anyhow (which is what I'm after), then I tried Gold's as well but they don't carry Kent.

OCDP
01-03-2006, 06:05 PM
If something goes down with piscies (sp?) then I'm most likely in for a bucket of Kent. I am out of salt and have been for a while and am now in urgent need of a water change. 65$ aint that bad for a bucket of kent. We should however start a new thread... haha.

BMW Rider
01-03-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm not in as desperate a need as Tony. I still have a full bucket that should last me two months. I would like to get in on any deals though, but if this doesn't happen I too will just order from J&L. The Pisces price is about the same as J&L with the shipping added in. Therefore, I'll get in to help make the deal happen, but not if this is going to be a major logistical headache.

Tony, if this doesn't happen asap, I'd say go ahead and get it where you must. I don't think there would be any shipping savings ordering extra buckets from J&L as oppossed to you just getting what you need. The cost is pretty much the same per bucket, the only advantage of a large order is getting a discount on the price of the salt which is unlikely for a smaller order. If this does come together soon (although it seems unlikely at this point) I could spare some salt to get you by until the order comes in. I don't want to leave myself short though if this is going to drag on. My deadline for recieving the salt would be early to mid February. Therefore I would expect the order will need to happen within a couple of weeks for me to get in.

Delphinus
01-03-2006, 08:39 PM
That schedule seems pretty reasonable... If we can go ahead with that then I'm content with one bucket of salt in the meantime, so I'll just run over to Big Al's tonight and pick up one bucket (and I'll still be in for the 4 for the order to help keep the tally up).