PDA

View Full Version : And You Thought ReefKeeping Was Expensive

Bryan
01-06-2002, 07:15 AM
Dropped by Aquarium Services in Richmond today and wandered over to the FW section. They had a few tanks dedicated to Arrowana's. I was shocked to see the sticker price for some of the stock. One juvenile Arrowana approx 8" in length was selling for $2500.00. Apparently a larger specimen was spoken for at a price of $6000.00.

These fish are all micro-chipped and registered. Interesting to say the least. Wonder what the arrowana at the Vancouver Aquarium would be worth.

smokinreefer
01-06-2002, 02:57 PM
not much.

the ones at big als are asian arowanas(green,gold,red,blue)...protected by cites. the ones they have are captive bred and are considered good fortune by the asian community.

the huge ones at van. aquarium are the south american arowana(silver), different species and commonly available.

also available is the australian arowana, more similar to the asian species, but only colored in a gold color. and not solid gold like the asian one. this species is also commonly available.

Silverfish
01-06-2002, 11:17 PM
Hi, When my girlfriend and I were at Riverside Aquariums in Calgary at thanksgiving we saw two expensive arowanas, one was $10,500 one was $30,000 !!

Imagine spending that kind of dough! You would give it a funeral service if it died!

Very cool fish tho. They had a pond in the store with a bunch ( at least 5) good sized arowana, and some cool looking stingrays too.

Jack
01-07-2002, 12:50 AM
you wonder how much they make off selling a really ugly 30,000 dollar fish?

reefburnaby
01-07-2002, 02:20 AM
Hi,

Arowanas are a prized fish in the oriental community. It is also called the dragon fish and the most "desired" colours are red and gold (like a gold fish). Like many things that are red, gold and dragons in the Oriental communitiy, it brings good luck, fortune, love, good health and etc etc. If you have been to a chinese wedding .... you'll know what I mean (husband=dragon, wife=phoenix -- put them togeter and you get double happiness)

People do crazy things just to be a little bit luckier than the average person. But...most people keep goldfish -- they are smaller and cheaper.

There is a tang that is about $5000 to $10000 -- its red and white striped. What makes it expensive is that it is hand caught and it's natural habitat is in very deep ocean (hence, special diving gear).

http://www.fishbase.org/images/Ceboy_u0.jpg

- Victor.

[ 06 January 2002: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

Silverfish
01-07-2002, 03:09 AM
Wow Victor.. nice looking tang!!

Bit too rich for me tho images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

smokinreefer
01-07-2002, 03:29 AM
doh!...thats an angelfish images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

reefburnaby
01-07-2002, 04:18 AM
Doh...you're right....

- Victor.

DJ88
01-07-2002, 04:39 AM
peppermint angel.. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Right Victor? images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Silverfish
01-08-2002, 02:21 AM
still cool lookin'.... images/smiles/icon_wink.gif