PDA

View Full Version : 3g cylinder tank

shroom1122
11-22-2005, 03:27 AM
Well i wanted a tank for my desk,and i seen this sweet 3g cylinder tank on NR,so i decided to set up a 3g cylinder tank for my desk. Im going to get a hood and base made for the tank to,the hood and base will be made of black acrylic. Ill have a 2.5g AGA tank as the sump. Ill also have 2 1/2inch wholes drilled on the bottom of the tank,one for return and the other for overflow. Im going to make a DIY rock pillar that will have a 1/2inch whole drilled threw the whole thing,and the over flow will go threw the rock pillar and close to the surface of the waterline.

deacon hemp
11-23-2005, 07:17 PM
In all honesty,that setup sounds too complicated and the cylinder tanks at that small will have some bad distortion.Why not do a simple cube,or copy fish's style setup?

shroom1122
11-24-2005, 11:21 PM
I dont know why,just wanted to be different rather than copy a whole bunch of other people. I was going to do a cube in the first place but i dont really like small cube tanks,and if i did copy fish's design,id have to get a canister filter,wich cost way way way to much than i want to spend.

deacon hemp
11-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Dude you can pick up a canister on here for 40-50 bux! It will be a lot cheaper than making a sealed sump setup! I will be posting pics of fish's old 2 gallon cube redone in a couple of days.I am picking up LR tommorrow.Scraping a cylinder tank will be much fun too. :cry:

christyf5
11-25-2005, 12:47 AM
I don't see why you couldn't do whatever kind of tank you wanted. Don't take it to heart, it must be grinch season :rolleyes: Theres a guy on here that has a big half cylinder (100g) and I think it looks fantastic so why not do a nano version? Good luck! :biggrin:

shroom1122
11-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Im only in grade 7 and dont have alot of money,and well,i can make a sealed sump cheaper than a $50 canister filter,all i need is a 2g bucket,some acrylic,and a few thumb screws. Ive already seen fish's cube BTW,ive also already seen his new cube. Thanks christyf5! I picked up some dead live rock,it has dead coraline and stuff on it,but the coraline algae still has color to it,thats why i bought it instead of base rock,im going to get some little chunks of live rock from my 20g and throw them in the bucket that i have the rock in for now. I have most of the coral already,its in my 20g. Im going to go pick up most of my plumbing after school tomrrow,and ill see how much the tank,base,and hood will cost.

christyf5
11-25-2005, 01:19 AM
I don't know about a sealed sump. But if you drilled a small hole above the waterline in your return, if the power went out it would break the siphon so you wouldn't overflow the sump. (if thats what you're worried about??).

Can't wait to see some pics! :cool:

shroom1122
11-25-2005, 01:23 AM
I dont get what your talking about,and yes im worried about the sump over flowing when the power goes out,can you explain yourself more? BTW the over flow cannot syphon,cause the wholes are drilled on the bottom of the tank for the return and over flow,so gravity just pulls the water down to the sump,id have to have a air tight sump cause when the power goes out the water would just over flow into the sump and the sump would over flow,unless,im could make a DIY rock pillar for the tank and make a 1/2inch whole going to threw the DIY rock pillar and have the over flow go in the rock and to the top of the tank,then the water would only over flow a bit into the sump,and i would not have to have the sump air tight. Cheak out this tank,this is how id like my DIY rock pillar to look like,

http://tinypic.com/dc3qcz.jpg

deacon hemp
11-25-2005, 01:53 AM
I didnt mean to sound harsh,you can do any tank setup you want i was just trying to help.Sorry.

shroom1122
11-25-2005, 02:08 AM
:P You never! Im just trying to make a tank for my desk,so i seen this sweet cylinder tank on nano-reef.com so id like to make one,but have a base and hood on mine. Here is the tank that made me want a small cylinder tank for my desk...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/ejls2/DSCF2689.jpg

deacon hemp
11-25-2005, 02:30 AM
Thats a cool tank,i thought it would disort more,i guess i was wrong.Go for it man.Do i really come off as an arsehole? Have i offended you on nano-r. mushroom head? If so im sorry.

shroom1122
11-25-2005, 02:42 AM
Hello,haha,no you dont come off as a arsewhole. Ive noticed you are signed up on NR to,so you live in Canada? Cool! I never new that. Oh and no you have never offended me on NR. BTW have you seen my 20g thread?

deacon hemp
11-25-2005, 03:45 AM
Yup ive seen your thread,its coming along nicely...thats a relief as sometimes in print ppl can come across as arogant.I've done the whole multiple tank thing many times and i always revert back to keeping one because if you cant make your original first tank the way you like,whats the point in having 2.But im back and trying to do 2 again! LOL :redface:

My bigger cubes a prop tank,my smaller one is my display so i dont even care much how the prop looks! Check my thread when its going.

shroom1122
11-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Hehe,yeah. Guess what,my dad just bought a 55g and a steel stand for it for me! I think i got him caught in reefing now :P Now hes trying to sell one of his computers for Metal Halides for the 55g :) I never got around to getting the PVC plumbing when i said i would :( Soon ill be getting it though,oh and im going to try to make a lil DIY micro skimmer for this tank and see how it works out.