PDA

View Full Version : The reef Tanks

Mykle6o6
11-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Ok so just a question here, after how many times of you Tank taking a nose dive and crashing, how many times should it take to take you out of the hobby?

Jason McK
11-21-2005, 10:46 PM
I don't think my tank crashing would cause me to get out.

I've had 2 tank leaks and a total loss during a move
This relaxing hobby won't get the best of me, Dammit!

J

Bob I
11-21-2005, 10:47 PM
replied in error

christyf5
11-21-2005, 10:48 PM
This relaxing hobby won't get the best of me, Dammit!

J

My thoughts exactly!! My tank hasn't necessarily crashed but it has gone to total crap a few times (dinoflagellates). This last time just about did me in but I knew I could do it (and I also know the hobby had a firm grip on my wallet :wink:)

Bob I
11-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Ok so just a question here, after how many times of you Tank taking a nose dive and crashing

I am not sure of the question because of the strange wording, but if it means what I think, I can't vote. I have never had a complete crash of a tank, so there is nothing to vote about.

KrazyKuch
11-22-2005, 01:17 AM
It would have to take more then 2 crashes for me to quite!

Skimmerking
11-22-2005, 02:03 AM
If you are talking about out break its the way nature makes you pay i guess
I have had
cynao problems
bubble algae
hair algae
flat worms many times
ick problems

IMO it makes wonder if you are doign it the right way or not. But it boils down to PATIENCE....

mike

Johnny Reefer
11-22-2005, 02:17 AM
I am not sure of the question because of the strange wording, but if it means what I think, I can't vote. I have never had a complete crash of a tank, so there is nothing to vote about.

Likewise.

Ruth
11-22-2005, 02:38 AM
I didn't vote either. I won't quit..........you can't make me quit........I could if I wanted to but I don't..........I'll go to all the damn meeting you want .......................but I still won't quit.............you guys get out of here with that stupid jacket with the long arms........you can't make me quit either.

Mykle6o6
11-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Well last night my heater died out and wouldent turn off, so the temp went from 82'F to 98'F well needless to say very few corals lived, one that are doing good are staying at NanoReefs tank for a week or so, clam a little longer, But only 1 fish survived my Sailfin Tang, The stupid fish who add Ick who you would think would die. But anyways im kinda getting outa the hobby cuz t hisis my second time of my tank completely crashing for stupid resons in the past 2 months. The first time the filter backed up and let out all the nitrates, this time the temp rose so high it cooked everything. But can anyone explain this next thing... How can you explain 2 fish missing? 2 fish that were in my tank, Marine Beta and Flame angel, Are gone, they didnt jump cuz theres no whereto jump out of, there not in the tank I moved everything around, and Just incase they found someway to jump out I looked around the floor no where to be seen... And now the tank stinks like nitrates even after my 15 gallon water change last nigh. and they tanks is a42 gallon for who ever wants to know

NanoReef
11-22-2005, 02:30 PM
mike, if i lost as much as you yesterday, i would be out!!! and for it to happen 2 times...... that sucks

Johnny Reefer
11-22-2005, 02:37 PM
So, in other words....watching a hobby crash would be priceless too! :lol:
HaHa. Get it? Priceless, in that you wouldn't have to spend money on it anymore. :razz:
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Cheers,

Beverly
11-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Have had a couple of devastating losses over the years, but am still at it and try to learn from my mistakes and the mistakes of others.

Sorry to hear about your heater killing your tank :eek: :sad: I use two smaller heaters instead of one large one in every tank to help ease the potential of a heater malfunction. Also, I try to replace heaters every 2-3 years, just in case.

Matt
11-22-2005, 03:20 PM
But can anyone explain this next thing... How can you explain 2 fish missing?... And now the tank stinks like nitrates even after my 15 gallon water change last nigh. and they tanks is a42 gallon for who ever wants to knowI'm going to guess that they went into a hole in the LR to die.

Murminator
11-22-2005, 03:34 PM
I use two smaller heaters instead of one large one in every tank to help ease the potential of a heater malfunction. Also, I try to replace heaters every 2-3 years, just in case.

Ditto :biggrin:

StirCrazy
11-22-2005, 05:35 PM
hmmm.. weird poll as no one ever said keeping a reef tank going is easy. isn't the real chalange to find out why it crashed and adapt so it doesn't happen again?

Steve

Johnny Reefer
11-22-2005, 06:34 PM
hmmm.. weird poll as no one ever said keeping a reef tank going is easy. isn't the real chalange to find out why it crashed and adapt so it doesn't happen again?

Steve

Good point, Steve.

doch
11-22-2005, 11:24 PM
I had my sump spring a leak a few months ago and everything started doing BAD after that... lost interest, started to contemplate getting rid of it before I moved, moved and now everything is doing GREAT (except my anemone... RIP) Moral: Sure am glad I stuck with it.