PDA

View Full Version : Digital cameras what to get? Prices?

pocilipora
12-26-2001, 07:32 PM
Just wondering what a good digital camera for frag pics would be? Are there any specifications I should be looking for, such as pixels etc. Your help would be appreciated. How much should I spend?

Samw
12-27-2001, 12:10 AM
I've narrowed down my shortlist to the Canon Powershot G2 and Canon Powershot S40. From what I can see, with the G2, there are 3 optional lenses for telephoto, macro, and wide angle capability. The macro lens is perfect for those closeup shots of your favorite critters. The S40 is more compact but does not have additional lenses. I probably will go for the S40 because it is smaller and I can keep it with me for those Kodak moments like when Dark Angel is shopping in Pacific Center.

I find that the prices at computer stores are significantly cheaper than camera or electronic shops. For example, the G2 is $1,299 at London Drugs and Future Shop but $1,151 at a local computer shop. The S40 is about $1,099 at Future Shop but $975 at the local computer shop. If you don't need 4 Megapixels, the S30 is 3 Megapixels and is about $200 cheaper, with the same features as the S40.

It sounds like Macro capability is what you are more interested in. The G2 would be better for that between the 2. However, other brands might also have good Macro capability although I haven't done any research on that. Nikon and Olympus are 2 other brands with good reputations. So check those out.

I've been reading reviews from these sites:

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

[ 26 December 2001: Message edited by: Sam W ]

DJ88
12-27-2001, 01:00 AM
Hey,

If you take a look at some of the shots I have posted and like them I bought a Kodak DC280 and put a macro lens kit on it.

I bought mine for $400 used on Buy and Sell.com.

The lens kit was about $100 all together..

Very sweet little camera.. Here is one macro I took of my Montip. sp.

http://members.shaw.ca/montipora/pictures/montipora_sp3.jpg

reefburnaby
12-27-2001, 03:56 AM
Hi,

Say, what's you budget range ?

For web stuff, a good old 1.3 mP or greater will do. For printing, unless you want 8x10 blow ups...1.3 is fine.

As for close up shots, you'll need a good macro capabilities. There is good enough...and then there is extreme. Most cameras are good enough for taking a photograph of a 6" SPS and having it cover 90% of the photograph. So is this good enough ?

I example of a good digital camera is the Canon A10 or A20 ($400ish to $500ish). Another one is Finepix 2600 ($400ish). London Drugs has a sale right now so check em out and try it out. LD is selling a Kodak DC5000 - which is a new version of Darren's DCD280 for $400. These are basic point and shoot cameras -- but they do the job and do it well. The more advance cameras (like G2 and S family) build on these cameras and add extra buzzards and whisltes. I don't recommend the Sony family because they use "Sony" memory products and some use "Sony" batteries -- which usually means expensive memory and batterys upgrades and replacements.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

pocilipora
12-27-2001, 04:17 AM
[ 27 December 2001: Message edited by: pocilipora ]

pocilipora
12-27-2001, 05:35 AM
Thanks guys I think Im going to get the Canon A50, looks like the on that will do the job for me.

Samw
12-27-2001, 05:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reefburnaby:
I don't recommend the Sony family because they use "Sony" memory products and some use "Sony" batteries -- which usually means expensive memory and batterys upgrades and replacements.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm no fan of Sony either (Except for tv's and monitors). My Sony DVD player started to fail a few months after the warranty expired. My Sony receiver's volume control is over-sensitive (too loud or too quiet). My co-worker's Sony VAIO notebook's video screen failed a month after the warranty expired and was quoted $2,000 to fix. My other co-worker's Playstation 2 failed a month after its warranty expired.

reefburnaby
12-27-2001, 02:07 PM
Hi

A50 is a fine choice, the only drawback is the batteries. They are the non AA variety. But, they do run on those lithium batteries that some SLR use.

- Victor.

BCReefer
12-28-2001, 01:07 AM
Anybody have one I can rent for a day images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ??? I would like to take some pictures of my tank here and there over the next year.

Seriously!

I don't have the cash for an expensive camera.

Patrick

Tropical Paradise
01-02-2002, 11:41 AM
I like my Sony DSC-F707, a.k.a. Dark Angel. It's a 5 MP camera with Carl Zeiss lens. Only thing is, Sony Canada wants $1799 for this camera. They can kiss my A**. I got the camera while I was in States. I saved about 500 CAD.

Kai-Wei