PDA

View Full Version : Another Skimmer Question

Parker
11-20-2005, 01:40 AM
My Coralife 65 was delivered on Wed of this week, I promptly set it up wed night, it's now Sat evening and I have water pouring out of the breather on the output side. I quickly threw some airline tubing on it and directed the water back to the tank. The skimmer doesn't seem to be negatively affected by this?

Also how far from the top of the cone do you typically set the skimmer?

I have a Hydor powerhead in my tank that good for 240 gallons per hour. I was using the rotating deflector but this seemed to cut the flow way down. Am I ok to run right out of the powerhead without any negative affect on tankmates?

This is on a 29 gallon.

Regards

Tarolisol
11-20-2005, 02:01 AM
I had the same problem with my 220 superskimer, you have to give it time for everything to break in, leave the water level low untill this is done. I have mine at the top of the first little cone that attaches the cup to the rest of the skimmer.

Doug
11-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi,
I will move this to the main reef forum for you. Should get more answers over there. :smile:

Manny
11-20-2005, 05:48 PM
my water level is the same as Tarolisol's. are using it as a hang on skimmer? i have heard of these things leaking out of the water level udjusting knob also. mine is in my sump so this doesn't really matter. could the water coming out of the breather be caused by a the bubble catcher backing up the water flow?

Parker
11-21-2005, 02:59 AM
I have mine at the top of the first little cone that attaches the cup to the rest of the skimmer.

I don't quite understand?

I presently have the top of my foam set to the blue arrow..yours is set to the hight of the red arrow?

http://www.dragnflycustoms.com/modules/gallery/albums/album04/skimmer_copy.jpg

I am using it as a hang on skimmer, I have solved the breather problem..you were correct. I had the the bubble collector set to high and it was backing up. I haven't seen any leaking from the adjustment nob, lets hope it stays that way.

Tarolisol
11-21-2005, 03:37 AM
Yes mine is on the red arrow, i had it higher to start and i got the water everywhere problem, with it set at the red arrow you get really thick dark skimate.