PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise dottyback

psychedelic
11-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience keeping sunrise dottybacks with more passive fish? I saw one at J&L and I fell in love with it.

I currently have a firefish and a mandarin dragonet... and they've been in there for about 4 months. Will the sunrise cause any problems with my existing fish stock as I hear dottybacks can be quite aggressive...

Beverly
11-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Welcome to Canreef :smilecol:

Have read that most dottybacks are pretty aggressive. Did a Google search and found this (among other pages)....

http://www.orafarm.com/dottybacks.html

Do a Google search for "sunrise dottyback" and read some of the info out there on these fish.

MobyDick
11-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Wow!That was a very interesting site!If I was out there in the rockies I would be having a "Saltwaterr Green House"That's for sure.! :wink:

iandehombre
11-20-2005, 10:40 PM
My sunrise dottybacks usually swim in and out of the rocks, doesn't really swim in the open space much. Sometimes it is aggresive towards my psychedelic dragnet, when i am feeding the psychedelic.

psychedelic
11-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Hey iandehombre,

Does he swim in and out to the extent that you never see him? I've heard they are on the same aggression level as orchid dottybacks...and tank bred sunrise or orchids are very mild. Ya know anything abt that?

How aggressive does it get to your dragonet? Does you dragonet suffer nips on its fins? Or is it just displayed aggression?

iandehombre
11-26-2005, 04:48 AM
My dottyback doesn't hide all the time and it is really active. It is a fun fish to watch, especial when it gets into some kind of duel with my damsel, but it is all harmless.

I notice the dragonet does get nips on it's fin, after I added the sunrise dottyback.

doch
11-27-2005, 03:30 PM
I've had an Orchid (wild caught) for 6-8 months and have had no problems with aggression from her since except the odd nip at my fire shrimp... but they moved to the other side of the tank. I have a mandarin and a fire fish as well and no problems. Strangely the fire fish takes the odd run at the orchid though... ??? NOw that said... I have no experience with the Sunrise, but if you say that the two are comparable here's my experience.

Tom R
11-27-2005, 04:34 PM
I have had a Neon Dottyback in my tank for 2 years now. This is one of my favorite fish. It has lots of character doting in and out of the reef. He did kill my Royal Ghram by trapping it in a hole in the rock and not letting it out to feed. The Ghram starved within a week.

Tom R

psychedelic
12-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Thanks for your input guys. That's awesome they seem to be pretty tame on the most part. I might go pick up a tank bred orchid or a sunrise this weekend. I love how dottybacks swim in and out of the reef.