PDA

View Full Version : The Fish Man

titus
12-28-2001, 04:42 AM
Hello,

For those who don't know my first real hobby (and still) is audio. A little while ago I've read about this guy (nicest install I've ever seen) putting a fish tank in his SUV. You may read more about him at The Fish Man (http://fishmanaudio.com/new_page_2.htm)

reefburnaby
12-28-2001, 06:55 AM
Hi,

Fish tank in a SUV...sounds interesting.

I have to ask you Titus...what kind of audio are we talking here ? Car audio ? Home audio ? Home Theatre ?

- Victor.

titus
12-28-2001, 02:52 PM
Hello Victor,

Started in home, and then interest spreaded over to car. But home audio still rules. Home theater is just another flavor all together.

reefburnaby
12-28-2001, 10:00 PM
Titus

Home audio..mmmmm. So, what's your setup ?

Current Job market : Eh...looks like a turn around in the 4th quarter. The market is very cyclic and it tends to have lows around the July to October timeframe. So, if there isn't a turn around in the next two quarters (which is unlikely, sounds like it going to be pretty flat for the two quarters), then it will happen next year. But...since Titus has his master's, it will be easier to find work...especially in the US (the Canadian engineering schools are ranked close to the Berkeleys, MITs and Stanfords in the Industry's eyes).

Expensive hobbies...depends.

- Victor.

[ 28 December 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

canadawest
12-29-2001, 02:29 AM
Anybody who's browsed my website (or was at my home for the first reef club meeting) knows that Home Theatre is also a passion of mine.

I've been interested in it for many years now and have done a lot of reading and reviewing.

Funny how people often have similar interests. I also know that some of you are also scuba divers (Jamie) which is another hobby of mine.

Man I've got expensive hobbies!

titus
12-29-2001, 04:05 AM
Hello Victor,

My home audio is quite simple even though this is really where I'm into. Yeah can't exactly afford a Wadia transport with external DAC and a pair of $18k Kimber Kable wires.

Car audio is on the other hand, as crazy as I can go at the moment. Just picked up a pair of Focal 136K. I'll have a pair of JL 8W3-D4 installed in a new door panel and put the Focal in a new kick panel. Oops there goes all my aquarium product development fees.... images/smiles/icon_eek.gif , not that I have any left anyway. images/smiles/icon_razz.gif Oh wait, and I still need a pair of Audio Control EQT. images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Okay you are saying that it is unlikely that there will be no turn around in the next two quarters, or the next two quarters will be very flat?

George
12-29-2001, 04:34 AM
Audio and reef, two very expense hobbies. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

titus
12-29-2001, 04:45 AM
Hello,

Yeah I'm crossing my fingers that my first job will pay me enough so I can still afford doing whatever. Maybe Victor can provide some clue in the current job market situation.

reefburnaby
12-29-2001, 05:07 AM
Hi,

Market:

So far, big companies like Cisco and Nortel haven't warned that they will not miss their numbers by a long shot. If they do warn, it is usually in these next couple of days (before the end of the year). Cisco says that they expect revenues to be flat or up 5% for the next two quarters. If you look at past history, the next two quarters are where the largest revenue increases occur. So, if there isn't going to be a big revenue increase this spring, then it will be year 2003 before we see a full swing recovery.

What does this mean ? The next 4 weeks will be key to the recovery of the economy because big players like Cisco and Intel will be issuing their numbers or future projections. So, if they report good number (small rise in revenues), we should see a full swing recovery by around the 3rd or 4th quarter -- which means hiring in 3rd or 4th quarter. If not, the recovery may be delayed for another year (2003).

Audio:
Well...I listened to a Wadia and I didn't think they were worth the price. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Hey...have you seen Wilson Audio Grand Slamm....they are only $170,000 a pair.

But, I have a Denon transport, MSB Link DAC (tweaked to death), Classe CAP-150 (integrated Amp -- tweaked), an older pair of Kef 104/2 and a home made sub. Most of my interconnect and speaker cables are home made -- and it sounds as good as any KimberKable or Cardas.

I am happy with it. So you are putting in Focals in to a car (Kevlar kind ?). Those are really nice drivers and damm expensive too. Sounds like somebody like JMlabs images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

- Victor.

titus
12-29-2001, 06:22 PM
Hey Victor,

Awesome setup at your house!! Ouch!
And man, if the big companies report bad news that mean no jobs for me until 2003!!!

Yes I'm going to have a nice setup for my car. Got sick of MBQuarts numerous confusing lines of xxx.xx model numbers and confusing crossovers. The only complaint I have with the Focal is even getting the PolyKevler line, I still get 10% capacitors for the xover. What a rip off. But driver construction is top notch.

With the rate my money goes, I better find a job.

reefburnaby
12-29-2001, 08:16 PM
Hi,

Consider yourself lucky that you have your masters. As long as you can speak English (properly) and you know your basics, you should be fine.

Good luck.

- Victor.