PDA

View Full Version : upgrading lights to 250's

WWWD
11-18-2005, 05:26 AM
i am having somewhat of a dilemma. i have been running 175watt 10k halides and have convinced myself that before i buy new bulbs that i should upgrade to 250's. when i actually sit back and look at my tank and how the health of my corals look im not so sure i should upgrade. my tank is all lps, chalise, acans, blasto, hammer, frogspawn, zoo's... im getting good growth out of everything for the most part and the colours look good. im worried that if i upgrade the lights i will start bleaching stuff or hurting it. am i being silly, will 250's help my tank out or should i be happy with my 175's.

Chin_Lee
11-18-2005, 05:59 AM
What do you have in mind for the future of your tank? If you want it to stay the way it is, leave it.
IF you want to get more into acros, i would upgrade when you can.

fakename
11-18-2005, 06:01 AM
All boys like bigger toys......even my buddies who drive 911's wish they had ferraris......same for aquariums I guess :smile:
Before you buy bulbs for the 250s you might think about doing some 400s.
I'm being a bit sarcastic......but if your tank looks great, what are the new lights going to do for you?
Cheers,
Aaron

Invigor
11-18-2005, 11:40 AM
but if your tank looks great, what are the new lights going to do for you?

exxxxxxactly!

WWWD
11-18-2005, 04:23 PM
well the theory of bigger lights is more growth and brighter colours. i will never grow sps in this setup, i think i would set a diffrent tank up for that.

christyf5
11-18-2005, 04:32 PM
new tank new tank! :razz:

OCDP
11-18-2005, 04:49 PM
IMO if you're happy with the current lighting setup, why change it? If you are indeed happy with the growth and colour then I wouldn't change anything. If your fear of upgrading and bleaching corals or burning them etc.. is one of your concerns and yet your happy with the current setup.. it's not worth the effort and risk of the upgrade. If your wanting more colour from you corals maybe a change in bulb (k rating) or adding more or adding in general supplementation.

My 2 cents !