PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a 3/4" die tap I could borrow

Delphinus
11-16-2005, 10:03 PM
I need to tap a 3/4" hole to accept 1/2" NPT. Anyone have a tap that large? (I need to tap one hole...)

StirCrazy
11-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I need to tap a 3/4" hole to accept 1/2" NPT. Anyone have a tap that large? (I need to tap one hole...)

so what you realy want is a 1/2 NPT tap. I have one but a little far for you to travel to get it :mrgreen: thats going to be a slopy fit if you drilled a 3/4 hole as a 1/2" NPT calls for a 45/64th drill hole so you might have to silicone the threads befor you put the pipe in to prevent leaks.

Steve

Delphinus
11-16-2005, 10:52 PM
That would be awesome Steve. Can you just run it over to my place tonight? :mrgreen:

Actually you're right I just did a rough look at the piece and it looked like 3/4" but yeah I need whatever 1/2" NPT is. It's really just to attach a feed line to a skimmer that sits in sump so it doesn't have to hold back a whole lot of pressure I just don't want the hose barb sitting in the hole too loosely.

Just out of curiousity how much did that piece set you back? I'm sort of reluctant to go out and buy one if they're like $50 or something just for a "I'll use this once and then never ever again" kind of tool. I wonder if I'm better off just drilling the 3/4" hole and then gooping it up with weldon-16 to make it hold in place and reasonably leak free.

AndyL
11-16-2005, 11:42 PM
I thought I had one, turns out only 1/8 and 1/4 npt though

Andy

kari
11-17-2005, 12:52 AM
To save a bit of back and forth driving you could bring the skimmer to my place on the weekend and we'll drill and tap what ever size of hole up to 3/4"NPT. Save the weldon-16 for later if we crack it :lol: I'll most likely be working in the garage all weekend anyways.

kari
11-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Locally the 3/4" tap is $80 and up. Mail order gets near $50.

G1GY
11-17-2005, 02:46 AM
I can bring one home for you to borrow tommorow if you want.

I have everything from 1/4 npt - 3" npt.

I'll pm you my cell # now.

StirCrazy
11-17-2005, 12:18 PM
That would be awesome Steve. Can you just run it over to my place tonight? :mrgreen:

Actually you're right I just did a rough look at the piece and it looked like 3/4" but yeah I need whatever 1/2" NPT is. It's really just to attach a feed line to a skimmer that sits in sump so it doesn't have to hold back a whole lot of pressure I just don't want the hose barb sitting in the hole too loosely.

Just out of curiousity how much did that piece set you back? I'm sort of reluctant to go out and buy one if they're like $50 or something just for a "I'll use this once and then never ever again" kind of tool. I wonder if I'm better off just drilling the 3/4" hole and then gooping it up with weldon-16 to make it hold in place and reasonably leak free.

I think I paid... it was about 35.00 bucks i believe.

just put some silicone on the threads when you go to thread the hose end in and it will be secure and leak free.

Steve