PDA

View Full Version : Clams

NanoReef
11-16-2005, 12:56 AM
I have a custom tank that is 15 long by 8 wide and 5 tall. it is 2.77 gallons. i have a 55 watt PC and i was wondering if i mounted the light 6 inches or so over the water, would i be able to keep clams??? Croacia preferably. will the light be to intense??? any feedback would be great!

shotzee
11-16-2005, 01:24 AM
I would say no freakin way, especially if you're thinking of a crocea. It isn't the amount of light that you have relative to the size of the tank so much as the total amount (PAR) of light you provide for the clam. I originally had a 150W DE metal halide setup, but upgraded to a 250W DE for my 2 crocea clams because I wanted them to thrive not just survive.

Another point that should be the fact that there is no way to really keep 2.8 gallons of water stable at all unless it was connected to a much larger tank.

Rory

Ruth
11-16-2005, 01:51 AM
I totally agree. I keep my 4 crocea in the rockwork about under 400W MH. These clams need LOTS of light in order to survive and thrive as well as stable water conditions and lots of calcium as well.

NanoReef
11-16-2005, 03:03 AM
dang, thats what i was afraid of. thats ok, they will go into the 90 in 4 months, they will be under 2 250W MH and a couple VHO actinics. is that better????? little curent for them, right??