PDA

View Full Version : Tanks a mess

Azilla
11-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Hey guys i went away for work out of town a few weeks back came home to my tank Covered in Brown ALge i mean the rocks where Fuzzy. I took out my hard corals and put them into a container to clean the tank. I woke up the next morning to find a god awfull smell i went and looked at my corals. there was a Skin of slime on the top i then worried dumped out all the water to find all my corals Bone white!! $1000 GOne. Now that made me real upset. I have very few corals left in my tank as well as my fish.

So what should i do now that Alge is outa control should i take out allthe rock and Scrub it??? clean the tank clean then remove all the water from the sump and do a full sump water change? Im real lost and getting real upset from haveing a super nice tank to a crap dirty tank...........

Skimmerking
11-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Well i would get someone to hold the rest of the corals and start either get a Sea hare. or a urchin.

Do a big water change and it sounds liek that your lights may of stuck on to give lots of lighting to the tank.

OR if you have algae in a sump and its drying the extra nutrients may be leaching into the tank.

But for now you have a mess and it time to get your hands wet and stat scrubbing the rocks.

vanreefer
11-15-2005, 12:08 AM
ouch :eek: :evil:

Ruth
11-15-2005, 12:31 AM
Let me know if there is anything I can do. I have a bunch of frags when you get it all back up and running. I also have some extra live rock if you need. If you want to set up a bigger skimmer on it just give me a shout. We can set up a ASM or a Beckett that I have kicking around - just need a pressure rated pump for the Beckett. Also have lots of spare light bulbs and even a light fixture that I could loan you for a while.

Skimmerking
11-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Ruth you rock as a refferette

you go girl :razz:

Ruth
11-15-2005, 01:34 AM
Az I also have a spare Sea hare and some snails that I forgot to mention. Mike I am sure you would offer the same to someone in trouble but thanks.

christyf5
11-15-2005, 01:40 AM
I would take the rock out and give it a good rinse/scrub. Rinse it in buckets of water before putting it back in the tank. Then do a massive water change, as much as you can. Siphon all the gack out of the sump, thoroughly clean your skimmer. Then get everything going again and go from there.

What does the algae look like specifically? Fuzzy, stringy, bubbly, slimy etc?

Christy :)

Azilla
11-15-2005, 04:44 PM
its Brown Hairy I can blow it all off but comes back right away. My skimmer just Fills instantly My fish dont seem harmed by it water has a odor to it as well. All my snails are gone belly up My 1 leather coral i own is doin great lol the rest cant handle it. im gonna pull out the rock into a bucket and scrub it off ill try it a few times till my tank is clean. Im just at a state of stress.

Thanks ruth might hit u up on things ill email u.

Murminator
11-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Sounds like what I'm going though
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20719

Squiddy
11-15-2005, 10:49 PM
I am also having this problem. I went out and bought a SeaHare but it looks like Phosphate down and Alkalinity up might fix the problem. I need to get those test kits ordered I guess.

Corey
11-16-2005, 04:55 AM
I just had the same thing happen last week when I got back from vacation. The only thing I could do and could see to do is romove everything, scrub the rocks, wash the substrate, and start over, its shitty but I think its your only bet.

Squiddy
11-16-2005, 04:56 AM
Hmm there's no way I can do all of that. Tested Phosphates today - 0mg/l. Bought a Kole Tang to help out the Sea Hare. We will see what happens.

golfbomber
11-16-2005, 06:04 AM
do you leave your light on your fuge 24 hrs? if not try growing your fuge as fast as possible to get nurients out. it took a couple of weeks for me to get out the algae from my main tank but the extra growth in the fuge did help a lot.

Squiddy
11-17-2005, 12:10 AM
I don't actually have a fuge right now. I should probably look into setting one up.. even out of an old filter or something.

golfbomber
11-22-2005, 05:41 AM
i had the same problem and bought a sea hare b4 my fuge was setup, the seahare was only temp, the algae will come back. unless you do massive water changes to get out the nutrients. since i hate doin water changes i got my fuge set up and it helped out tons only in a couple of weeks, no more pest algae in my main tank.