PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy GE RVT100 and/or IS800 silicones

Delphinus
11-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Just curious if anyone's come across a local supplier for these two silicones before I embark on a wild-goose-chase for this stuff.

I remember I used to be able to pick up RVT100 from Animal House before they went under. Alas I never thought to ask where they got theirs from when I had the chance.
:frown:

(Apparently these are the only two silicone products that GE actually "recommends" for aquarium use. .. link to GE Silicone's website (http://www.gesilicones.com/gesilicones/as1/en/industry/industry_application.jsp?industryId=1000009&applicationId=1000580&applicationAreaId=1000090) )

(Edit: I edited the ridiculously long URL to an embedded link so that the width of the thread view wouldn't get thrown off)

muck
11-14-2005, 06:05 PM
not sure Tony but Im tagging along.. :mrgreen:

Tarolisol
11-14-2005, 06:06 PM
When i went for a hunt for the GE silicone i cam up short handed but appareantly there is a place of 32nd ave NE that has some cant remember what the place is called, bukaneer told me about it.

Delphinus
11-14-2005, 07:36 PM
:lol: The fabled place on 32nd Av... I have heard of it but I can never remember the name of it so I can never look up their #.

At any rate, I did wind up finding some, at my old trusty source for plumbing bits, Western Pump (287-0256). At least they do carry the RVT100 at $8/tube. So I guess it wasn't quite so wild-goose-chase after all.

KrazyKuch
11-14-2005, 09:22 PM
You can use GE's Window and Door Silicone I & II, I believe it is 100% pure silicone and has no added Chemicals...I have been using it for everything I have needed silicone for and have never had any problems with it!!!

Delphinus
11-14-2005, 09:31 PM
You can use them, yes, but Silicone II actually has on the label "not for aquarium use." The problem with Silicone II apparently is that it will not hold up to long-term continuous submerged use so it is not a good choice as a structural bonding agent.

In a pinch Silicone I can be used but I would just like to actually have onhand the stuff that GE goes out of their way to recommend for aquarium use.

I have actually used Silicone I in the past on baffles in the sump and the silicone actually discoloured after a few weeks of use. It appears to be holding acceptably still after 1 year but the silicone is noticeably yellow. It just looks fugly... So that's why I'm going out of my way this time to get some RVT100.

While we're on the topic of silicones... Incidentally in my search I called Bow Valley and asked what they use, I was told "GE Construction 1200". And they sell tubes of that for $8 each.. (Embarrassingly, apparently I knew about GE1200 already: http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13244& ... sigh :redface: )

There you go, I bet that's more about silicone than anyone really wanted to know!!! :lol:

muck
11-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Now to find out where Bow Valley gets the 1200 stuff from.. :mrgreen:

Delphinus
11-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Ok, so apparently Western Pump does NOT sell RVT100. :evil: Man, nothing like being told one thing over the phone only to get a blank stare when you make the time to go there in person and then ask for it. .. sheesh.

Anyhow rather than drive all over the place on a wild goose chase for some elusive alleged GE product, I bought some All-Glass-Aquarium silicone from Big Al's, so I'm set for now.

But if anyone ever does find the RVT100 in some mythical store, please post back here and let me know where it be so I might know for some future project. .. Many thanks!

Delphinus
01-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Just as a followup post in case anyone ever references this thread in the future.

The clear silicone that I used to repair my sump with (that begat this whole thread in the first place), was "All Glass Aquarium" brand.

It yellowed within a week (below the water line). In my case, it's a sump, so aesthetics aren't all THAT important, but I was still quite disappointed with that. I've now done two sumps with two different silicones, Silicone I (clear) and All-Glass-Aquarium (clear), and in both cases have had yellowing of the silicone below the water line. You do not want to use these products for anything that will end up being a display where looks are important. My advice is, go the extra distance and find the GE1200, GE RVT100 or GE IS800 silicones.

Snappy
01-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Tony,
Wai's makes custom tanks (he made mine) and can probably get you some or at least steer you in the right direction.

AndyL
01-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Wai's doesn't build tanks - danny buys them from mitch like everyone else in town.

Andy

Snappy
01-27-2006, 03:17 AM
Wai's doesn't build tanks - danny buys them from mitch like everyone else in town.

Andy
Ok if you say so. Either way I would be surprized if Danny didn't know where to get the silicone in question.

Pokolec
01-27-2006, 03:59 AM
Hi Delphinus,
I can offer you CSL #502A food grade, excellent for glass and I can promise you this never get yellow in marine condition, two years in my sump nothing happen.
Technical data Sheet: http://www.cslsilicones.com/pdf_files/502tech.pdf

Dez
01-27-2006, 02:22 PM
I have a supplier to the CSL stuff as well and have made a few cube tanks with that stuff. Newguy has also made tanks with that stuff. I can get them for about $5 a tube. I have other stuff that is straight 100% silicone that I use as well that does not yellow. I have been on the silicone searchfor a while as I use it daily in my trade and have tracked down a couple of suppliers. If anyone is interested I can get them some cheap. About $5. My company can probably cover the tax.

Des

Delphinus
01-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Can any of those adhesive suppliers get GE RVT100? After reading the specs for the CSL in that above link, it sort of looks like it may be an equivalent product but nowhere in that link did I see "safe for aquariums" whereas it does state this in the specifications for the GE RVT100. I used to be able to get my tubes from Animal House before they went belly-up a few years ago but since then I haven't seen any around (not that I really look all that hard). It just seems to me that someone must be able to order it, seeing as GE makes a lot of silicone products and GE is a .. kinda a big company..

I'm not in need of any right now though, I'm asking only more for the future. Thanks for the offers nonetheless though.

rudy
01-30-2006, 08:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use them, yes, but Silicone II actually has on the label "not for aquarium use." The problem with Silicone II apparently is that it will not hold up to long-term continuous submerged use so it is not a good choice as a structural bonding agent.

Not true actually. I have called GE and they say the only reason they have it as not for aquarium use is that it is desgined for usages partially where food and beveridge would be consumed and so the usage would conflict with the warning of being toxic. (kitchen) This is the silicone that they suggest to me when I called and I have used it lots. It is an FDA regualtions thing more than anything