PDA

View Full Version : coral banded lost his hands :(

Diana
11-14-2005, 05:13 PM
So I isolated my coral banded shrimp in a 5 gallon just to see if it was picking on my BTA....

The 5 gallon is a quarentine tank with a small gold bar maroon clown. Its been 2 days and I woke up this morning and poor coral banded has lost his front claws :(

A molt gone wrong?

I wonder if the idodine levels arent right in that tank? I know its quite small. Ive read they can re-generate the claws.

Do you think it was the maroon clown? Should I set up a tank just for the coral banded and nurse him back to health?

He was so aggressive with the fish in my other tank I never thought the clown would dare come near him....

:(
-Diana

DanG
11-14-2005, 05:26 PM
I wouldn't put it past a maroon, they're by far the most agressive clown.

Bob I
11-14-2005, 05:36 PM
I have had CBB's lose their claws after being transferred to another tank. The claws inevitably come back with the next molt. :biggrin:

Diana
11-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks!

I did a 15% water change today and am in the process of setting up another 5 gallon anyways, so I might just move him to his own tank.

I havent noticed the maroon picking on him and if anything the coral banded is the one doing the picking.

I'll keep you posted thanks!

-Diana

adidas
11-14-2005, 09:00 PM
he'll be fine :)

I once had a big hermit get all his legs ripped off by another hermit, so we just put him in the fuge and fed him daily by hand... month later he molted and it was all back! inverts are cool that way!

shadowboy
11-14-2005, 09:39 PM
My coral banded did this, just from stress and a defense mechanism, kinda like lizards and their tails. next molt he'll get 2 brand new claws...which isn't really a good thing. My coral band was a hell raiser

tristan

Diana
11-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Just an update- he just molted and his claws came back! They've grown faster than I could imagine... yesterday they were only about 1 inch long and teeny tiny, today they are double that and have full pinchers at the end.

Thanks guys
:mrgreen:

-Diana