PDA

View Full Version : Tank Move Recruitment

Johnny Reefer
11-14-2005, 02:20 AM
Hey Gang!,

The time is very near approaching to finally get my 135g tank drilled.:smile:

I plan on tearing it down next Sat/Sun and hope to move it out on Monday morning, Nov. 21.

One small problem...
I need a hand with moving it from my place, in Fairfield, to Safari Pets.

If any one with a truck or van, and a good back, can give me a hand I would appreciate it very much.

The favour would be happily compensated. Gas money. A coral, perhaps.
We could work something out.

Thanx much,

Jaws
11-14-2005, 03:01 AM
I can help with the lifting but unfortunately, I don't have a vehicle capable of moving the tank.

StirCrazy
11-14-2005, 03:14 AM
Hey Gang!,

The time is very near approaching to finally get my 135g tank drilled.:smile:

I plan on tearing it down next Sat/Sun and hope to move it out on Monday morning, Nov. 21.

One small problem...
I need a hand with moving it from my place, in Fairfield, to Safari Pets.

If any one with a truck or van, and a good back, can give me a hand I would appreciate it very much.

The favour would be happily compensated. Gas money. A coral, perhaps.
We could work something out.

Thanx much,

what day do you need the truck? I can't lift right now (to beat up :mrgreen: ) but I have a truck so I might be able to help.

Steve

TNTCanada
11-14-2005, 04:34 AM
If I'm back from Oregon, I have a good back and I have a SUV that the seats can be folded down so it would fit in no prob I'm sure.

Hope to be back Sat or Sun

Cheers
Tyler

Johnny Reefer
11-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanx for responding.

Steve: I was hoping to move it Monday Nov. 21, in the morning. Ya, I know. A weekday. Why Monday? I want to talk to J., at Safari, about the position of the hole. (BTW, I still have the freebie 10 gallon).

Tyler: So, might you be available on the Monday?

Jason: If need be, I'll rent a van and then all I'd need is the helping hand. I'd like to let this roll for a few more days and see what develops, before deciding on a rental.

Cheers,

Aquattro
11-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Mark, I'm off tha day and have a van, I'm sure we can manage with 1 or 2 others to lift.

Jaws
11-14-2005, 03:44 PM
My work's fairly flexible so I should be able to help as long as I don't have an appointment.

Werbo
11-14-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm off next Monday. I have a Jimmy SUV we can use and a good back. Send me a pm and I'll help out.

Tyler

Johnny Reefer
11-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Possible change of plans.
Looks like I might upgrade to a new drilled 180 instead. :rolleyes:
I'll be making a decision tomorrow (Thursday).

Cheers,

Jaws
11-17-2005, 05:04 AM
DO IT!!!!!!!!!! An extra six inches from front to back is so worth it.

reeferaddict
11-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Mark.... do it... no really... just do it! :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
11-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Possible change of plans.
Looks like I might upgrade to a new drilled 180 instead. :rolleyes:
I'll be making a decision tomorrow (Thursday).

Cheers,

Ok so like some of us have to work :mrgreen: so I guess I am out.

I would do the upgrade faster, easier ect..

Steve

Johnny Reefer
11-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Well I've decided to go for the drilled 180, of course :rolleyes:, so I won't be needing a truck or van, as it will be delivered.
Thanx to all who offered a vehicle.
Thanx to all who have offered help, period. Hint, hint. (Keep reading).

I may still need help carrying the tank inside, however. (Hence the change in the thread title).
The LFS has told me that they will not provide a helping hand beyond bringing the tank to my apartment building. The delivery person has a bad back.

Sooooo, I may put a call out again for lifting help.
It gets delivered on Nov. 30th, which is a Wednesday.

Question: How many guys does it take to lift a 180? More than two?

Thanx much,

P.S. I'm so excited. :biggrin:

StirCrazy
11-18-2005, 03:18 AM
min of 4. if you have some sort of wheeled cart all the better.

Steve

Ruth
11-18-2005, 04:22 AM
Jeez Mark any chance we are related????? Sounds exactly like something I would do - go into a store to see about getting an old tank drilled and walk out with a new bigger tank and smaller wallet!

Johnny Reefer
11-18-2005, 05:11 AM
:lol:
And to think that the salesman suggested that he was the crazy one!
What do they call that?
Reverse psychology? :smile:

Cheers,

Johnny Reefer
11-18-2005, 05:20 AM
min of 4. if you have some sort of wheeled cart all the better.

Steve

Hmmm. 4, eh? In that case, then I will be puttin' a call out.
Anyone?
Please and thanx.
Nov. 30th. It's a Wednesday.

And, yes, a hand truck! :cool: idea.
A good, solid, fridge movin' type hand truck with a big strappin' strap on it.
That should help out alot!
I'll rent one of those, for sure.

Thanx,

IslandReefer
11-18-2005, 09:09 AM
I was going the cart route also, but after moving my 195 (180 tall)...I recommend six healthy guys....esp if there is doors and stairs.
Six guys can manhandle the tank easily and safely....four if they pump iron and ate their Wheatys :smile:

reeferaddict
11-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Oooh this is SO exciting! :mrgreen:

As I'm out of town a ways I will say try and find a few closer first... but if yer in a pinch... gimme a holler & I'll try and help out... even if nothing other than to see the new coral digs... Way to go Mark! :razz:

Jaws
11-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Good decision Mark. The last day of the month is always the busiest day for me, but put me down for a last minute yes. We moved my 180 with only two people and that was around doors and up elevators. Getting four is being safe so put me down for a last resort five or six.

Johnny Reefer
11-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Jim & Jason: Thanx guys. I'll give ya shouts closer to the day if it looks like I'll need ya.

Jason: How is your 180 coming along?

Cheers,

Jaws
11-18-2005, 04:44 PM
I got water in it yesterday finally. Right away I noticed a leak on one of the tee's in the behind the tank. We went back there to have a closer look and the pipe just pulled right our of the joint. The glue didn't do a very good job at all. I tested the rest of the joints and they seemed fine so hopefully it was just that one. Everything looks great except I can't believe the noise the Mag 36 pump puts out for the closed loop. The one in the sump isn't too bad because it's submersed but the closed loop is loud. Lots of really good, random flow though.

Johnny Reefer
11-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Right away I noticed a leak on one of the tee's in the behind the tank. We went back there to have a closer look and the pipe just pulled right our of the joint. The glue didn't do a very good job at all.

Yikes! :eek:
Sounds like one major disaster narrowly avoided. Phew!

Glad to hear you have it up and running!
Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Johnny Reefer
11-18-2005, 08:43 PM
...I recommend six healthy guys....esp if there is doors and stairs.

3 miles of bumpy potholed logging road.
2 miles of freshwater lake. (There's a little rickety wooden barge for this portion).
Then it's up a 10% elevation on a bumpy old hiking trail for about 1 mile, where it seems there is a deadfall in the way about every 20 yards. (Hasn't been cleared in about 6 years).
Finally, at the top, it's smooth sailing along an old slimy cord road, for about 4 miles, to the cabin! :biggrin: Easy!

Haha. Joking of course.

No stairs! Wohoo!
From driveway, along sidewalk, through front door and lobby, to the elevator, in, 4th floor please, into the apartment. Voila!
The two doors measure no less than 32" wide, so there is really no tight squeeze at all.

Cheers,

TNTCanada
11-20-2005, 02:20 AM
I will check to see if I work that day and get back to you.

Cheers
Tyler

Johnny Reefer
11-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Help!
The stand for my new 180 is coming on Monday.
To make room for the 180, I need a hand with moving my 135 into the bedroom.
I was thinking Sunday, either late afternoon or evening would be an ideal time to do this.
It'll be just the empty 135 and the 135 stand to move on Sunday.
All the live rock, etc. will be holding in the 70.
I am willing to part with a coral for the favour.
If anyone is available to lend me a hand on Sunday for this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanx much,

TNTCanada
11-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Mark I should be able to give you a hand on Sunday
Give me a call if you want I will PM my number

Cheers
Tyler

Johnny Reefer
11-25-2005, 01:57 AM
Thanx Tyler. :smile:

Cheers,

Johnny Reefer
11-26-2005, 02:23 AM
Well the time is drawing closer on delivery of the tank. :biggrin:
Puttin' the call out for help, once again.
I don't mean to be too early, with a call, but I don't want to leave it for too late, either.
It's still slated for Wednesday Nov. 30th. No earlier than 11:00 AM. (And probably no later than 4 or 5. I'll confirm that).
Basically, the exact time will be dependant on when people are available.
Once that's determined I'll tell the "delivery guy" when to bring it.
Based on the advice of people with past experience movin' a tank this size, I need the help of at least three other guys.
Any assistance rendered with this move will be greatly appreciated. There's cold beer in the fridge and I am willing to part with three corals in kind.

Please and thanx,

TNTCanada
11-26-2005, 05:14 AM
Once again I am able to help. I will get more info tomorrow when I see you.

Cheers
Tyler

Johnny Reefer
11-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Bump.

Still need one more person to help move 180 tank (6' x 2' x 2') up into apartment and on stand.

Wednesday. 1:00 PM.

Thanx much,

Johnny Reefer
11-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Bump.

Werbo
11-28-2005, 03:07 PM
I can make it.

Johnny Reefer
11-28-2005, 03:26 PM
:cool: Thanx Tyler!
I'll PM you with address and phone # info.

Thanx heaps,

Werbo
11-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Don't worry about. In this hobby, especially with tank moves, we all need a little help from time to time.

Johnny Reefer
11-30-2005, 11:54 PM
Thanx much to Tyler (TNT Canada Tyler) and John (IslandReefer).
Couldn't a' done it without ya.
I owe you guys.
So, ah....SPS you say? :wink:

Cheers,

P.S. Tyler Werbowski: Thanx so much for your offer. That says something in and of itself. Life happens, plans change, and we move on.

Cheers,