PDA

View Full Version : powerhead filters

fishguyxd
11-13-2005, 02:09 AM
I have two maxijet 1200 and so I cut foam to put over the intake ends. reason being (to stop an anemone from challenging the impeller :eek: ) which does works, :biggrin: but the filters really do a job at getting any stray particles and get plugged up after a short time :neutral: (the thing is my tank is not dirty) So any other filter type idea's for the powerheads that may work to stop a anemone from suicide missions?? :confused: :smile:

Invigor
11-13-2005, 02:14 AM
not sure about mjets but hagen powerheads come with the filter holder, just run it without media..keeps the anemone out, but does not filter anything, obviously :mrgreen:

fishguyxd
11-13-2005, 02:21 AM
I have no media I'am just using the powerheads for water movement, but , have thought of using some type of media in the tank but I not sure what others run in there's Carbon ,what??

Invigor
11-13-2005, 02:35 AM
carbon/ phosphate remover is all i ever use..i wouldn't mind gettin a micron pool filter for it though

crusty1
11-13-2005, 03:57 PM
I have 2 magnum canisters that I run. 1 with carbon, and 1 with the filter. I plan on moving one of the magnums over to my fish only when I set it up.

Beverly
11-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Sorry to say this Al, but if your foams are getting plugged up with detritus, your tank is at least a bit dirty :razz: The gunk in the foams is proof. However, you're not alone. You're just seeing it now because you have the foams now.

Nothing wrong with a little mechanical filtration, IME. It helps collect stuff so you can export it from your system. I clean my foams weekly during water changes. If yours need cleaning more often, just clean them well in tapwater and stick them back on your MaxiJets.

Saltysteve
11-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Same thing here, running the foam on powerheads is called polishing the water. Makes a huge difference and is worthwhile for both reasons, polishing and protection. I agree though, plugging all the time :neutral: