PDA

View Full Version : DIY nanoskimmer

AndyL
11-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Well, I decided my 5g bowfront needed a skimmer. Strangely there just aren't many off the shelf skimmers for nano tanks - none that would fit in the AC300 where I wanted to hide it away.

So I did what any good DIY'er would do - I stole someone elses idea :) Design is losely based on a prizm (actually from a "cd case skimmer" posted on nano-reef). Skimmer box is 6"x3"x2". Here it is in testing.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1293diyskimmer.jpg

If you're wondering about the 'hack job' pump install - I originally wanted to run a 60gph PH I had lying around, but, as is the fun of DIY'ing - its venturi wouldn't draw air properly once connected to the skimmerbox. So I dug out this old 120gph, added a few more exit holes - and added a hardline to the intake, to feed air.

Getting a nice 1.5" of foam up the dryer not including the submersed area shown) so it looks like it should be quite effective once its broken in. Now I just have to make this new powerhead mount properly.

Andy

Salinity Now
11-12-2005, 07:29 PM
So I did what any good DIY'er would do - I stole someone elses idea
Andy, don't think of it as stealing, think of it as borrowing with the intent of improving your tanks inhabitants.

I havn't seen that diy on nano-reef. I ended up building the UTR skimmer and it's working like a hot damn. Do you have any other photos of the collection cup. I'm assuming that its that round tube at the top right hand side.

AndyL
11-12-2005, 07:41 PM
LOL, ok, it's borrowing an existing design :mrgreen:

I wanted to do the UTR/wetworx, but it just won't fit within the AC300, saw this one, realized that I could built it to fit inside the aquaclear.

The collection cup is as yet uninstalled - the tube (actually an ac300 intake) is installed, but the collection cup wont be installed until the skimmer breaks in and I get a better idea where it needs to go - it will however be quite simple, just a medicine bottle with a drain.

AndyL
11-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Just can't leave good enough alone - Here's where I'm thinking of going with the skimmer... While she works great in the 65, in the 5 for some reason, the bubbles increase 10fold, and they run throughout the box, resulting in horrible microbubbles in the tank.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1293skim2.jpg

I'm thinking this new version should increase contact time dramatically - increasing efficiency, and hopefully getting rid of some of the microbubbles problem.

Anyone have some thoughts?

Andy

AndyL
11-14-2005, 03:58 AM
While waiting for glue to dry I went to scavenge some parts... Then decided - I should take a picture!

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1293diyskimmate-med.jpg

It can't even be fully broken in yet!

Andy

Cap'n
11-14-2005, 06:00 AM
Anyone have some thoughts?

Andy

I think if you have this much fun building gadgets for a tank you should come over to my place and help me streamline my system!

AndyL
11-14-2005, 12:48 PM
I think if you have this much fun building gadgets for a tank you should come over to my place and help me streamline my system!

I have been known to work for beer and frags :mrgreen:

JSTR
11-14-2005, 08:17 PM
BEERS, damn it cost me Jack.
If I had only known you were that cheap. :biggrin:

AndyL
11-14-2005, 10:14 PM
BEERS, damn it cost me Jack.
If I had only known you were that cheap. :biggrin:

Yeah, sorry early morning post - don't drink much beer - more of a fan of my good friend jack (sorry, no tekillya or my not so good friend sammy). Anything aged 20+ years with glen in the name works also :mrgreen: but Pauls project wasn't so big - so I couldn't really expect him to provide that - afterall the scotch would cost more than his whole system :mrgreen: