PDA

View Full Version : cuttlefish in Calgary

dunl
11-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Where, what size, and how much can they be found for?

Thanks,
Dunl

Bob I
11-11-2005, 08:48 PM
I personally have never seen a Cuttlefish, except in bird cages. :biggrin:

dunl
11-11-2005, 09:34 PM
I know they had them at Big Al's last month....just wondering if anyone still has them in stock.

andresont
11-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Where, what size, and how much can they be found for?

Thanks,
Dunl
I heve seen one for $25 at KingEd looong time ago

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-11-2005, 11:10 PM
OA had some a while back.

dunl
11-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Last time I checked, those places weren't in Calgary. :razz:

Thanks, but looking locally, not out of province. :)

adidas
11-12-2005, 06:57 AM
big als had babies a few weeks ago

Tarolisol
11-12-2005, 06:59 AM
yeah big als had them last time, babies, and by babies i mean the size of a pencil eraser. i dont know why you would ever want one they have an incredibly short life and even shorter if kept in one of our tanks.

meltdownaverted
11-12-2005, 08:28 PM
I know Wai's had one a couple months back. You might have to order it, I never seen him carry them.

dunl
11-12-2005, 09:19 PM
i dont know why you would ever want one they have an incredibly short life and even shorter if kept in one of our tanks.

That's okay that you don't understand.... :cool:

Did I mention I now want a mantis shrimp, too?

Tarolisol
11-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I understand they are very interesting creatures, the colour changing is awsome, but for something that only lives 6 months it seems odd. And mantis shrimp are just cool.

michika
11-12-2005, 11:33 PM
http://www.stickycricket.com/aquarium/movies/metasepia.html

A cuttlefish movie...for interests sake...

dunl
11-13-2005, 03:37 AM
I understand they are very interesting creatures, the colour changing is awsome, but for something that only lives 6 months it seems odd.

Ah, there's the problem....their life span ranges from double to triple of what you thought it was.

Murminator
11-13-2005, 04:31 AM
I personally have never seen a Cuttlefish, except in bird cages. :biggrin:

Thats a cuttlebone Bob :razz:

Tarolisol
11-13-2005, 05:47 AM
I understand they are very interesting creatures, the colour changing is awsome, but for something that only lives 6 months it seems odd.

Ah, there's the problem....their life span ranges from double to triple of what you thought it was.

oh yes you are right but thats with perfect care of a creature that is almost immpossible to provide it with.

EmilyB
11-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Oh this is new, a newbie with an attitude :lol: :cool:

Oops... was this an unproductive post... :question: :neutral: :drinking:

StirCrazy
11-13-2005, 03:34 PM

oh yes you are right but thats with perfect care of a creature that is almost immpossible to provide it with.

so sence an anemone can live from 50 to 100 years and we normaly kill them in 2 or 3 I think the cuttlefish has a way better ratio in our care.

Steve

Tarolisol
11-13-2005, 04:33 PM

so sence an anemone can live from 50 to 100 years and we normaly kill them in 2 or 3 I think the cuttlefish has a way better ratio in our care.

Steve

But ive seen lots of anemones in peoples care but ive never seen anyone with a cuttlefish, its like and octopus or a jellyfish they require special care, most of the cuttlefish that you see in LFS are cool water ones but how many people have a cool water tank?

dunl
11-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Oh this is new, a newbie with an attitude

Oops... was this an unproductive post...

Not if your trying to increase this board's reputation for haveing experienced members who look down on others. :lol:

Was that productive? :question: :confused:

But ive seen lots of anemones in peoples care but ive never seen anyone with a cuttlefish, its like and octopus or a jellyfish they require special care, most of the cuttlefish that you see in LFS are cool water ones but how many people have a cool water tank?

The fact that you have never seen one, and that they are starting show more regularly now, doesn't mean that people shouldn't keep them. The hobby has to evolve, and that has to happen by people participating.

Now, if you were thinking that I was going to take one and toss it in a goldfish bowl, then you'd be right to worry about the cuttlefish.

You'd also be wrong to assume that I haven't done a lot of research on them.

Tarolisol
11-13-2005, 07:51 PM
The fact that you have never seen one, and that they are starting show more regularly now, doesn't mean that people shouldn't keep them. The hobby has to evolve, and that has to happen by people participating.

Just because a Fish store brings something in doesnt mean its ok to keep them, there are alot of stuff that comes in the shouldnt have ever left the ocean.

OCDP
11-13-2005, 09:11 PM
haha that man is simply asking if anyone has seen a cuttlefish around.. yikes.

dunl
11-13-2005, 10:05 PM
haha that man is simply asking if anyone has seen a cuttlefish around.. yikes.

That's okay OCDP....I know better than to do that on this board again. This is twice now, but it is kind of funny what kind of responses you get over here. :lol:

Cap'n
11-14-2005, 01:09 AM
Oh this is new, a newbie with an attitude

Oops... was this an unproductive post...

Not if your trying to increase this board's reputation for haveing experienced members who look down on others. :lol:

Who told you that, dooee?

dunl
11-14-2005, 01:20 AM
I think you'd be surprised at who mentions this, and how many mention this.