green button pollyp
star polyp
plate coral
purple tipped anemone
2X O. clowns
mandarin goby
2X purple fire fish
2X cleaner shrimp

Here is my problem. My anemone just closed up, all of the tentacles deflated, and black goo started coming out of its mouth. I fed it this morning (mysis shrimp) on my way to work and he looked fine. after work I fed the fish and the anemone still looked all right. after supper he just started to close up and then the goo startedd to come out of his mouth. I tried looking for some info on the net and turned around and all of his tentacles are deflated. Whats going on?

scuglass
11-11-2005, 02:01 AM
how long have u had the anemone ? have u added ne thing as of late that may be nipping at it ? what are ur parameters ? has it been moving around the tank? im no expert but it may have been expelling the stuff that photosynthesises for itzooantlite or something cant remember lo. maybee some one who hasmore experise can chime in

Beverly
11-11-2005, 02:02 AM
I don't know what's going on, but here's RC's Anemone FAQ....

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

As well, here's RC's Anemones & Clownfish Forum....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36

BTW, Welcome to Canreef :biggrin:

rews
11-11-2005, 02:05 AM
I've had the anemone about 2.5 months. He was my most recent addition. When i first got him he didn't like where I put him and up and moved to his current position and brushed against my heater. 7 damaged tentacles.

Sp gravity 1.023
KH 179 ppm
Nitrites 0
temp 79 F

vertex
11-11-2005, 02:18 AM
I think you can safely wait till morning and see it back to its normal self. mine does this every now and then for a few hours as well. Had it for nearly a year now. An RBTA.

KrazyKuch
11-11-2005, 02:38 AM
I think you can safely wait till morning and see it back to its normal self. mine does this every now and then for a few hours as well. Had it for nearly a year now. An RBTA.

Your Anenome spits out black stuff everyonce and awhile.......Are your clown fish hosting you anenome????Cause we had an anenome that died after shooting stuff out of it's mouth...we found out afterwards that he died because our clowns were beating it to death!!!

rews
11-11-2005, 06:23 AM
He is starting to "re-flate". Thanks for the info and Phew.

Chin_Lee
11-11-2005, 07:01 AM
it was passing stool. don't worry about it.

meltdownaverted
11-11-2005, 02:26 PM
You should raise your salinity slowly to 1.026. Lower salinity is okay for fish, but anemones are a little more delicate.

mr_alberta
11-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Black stingy stuff is usually poop. Its the white stringy stuff you have to worry about. White stringy stuff is usually its own guts :eek:

vanreefer
11-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Agreed.... something goes in it has to come out.. lucky beast it mouth and it's a$# is the same hole. :lol:
Mine does this from time to time usually observed at night

RobbAdams
11-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Mine does this from time to time usually observed at night

I hope you meant you anemone :eek:

OCDP
11-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Anemones poop and shrivel up frequently. They deflate and flush out all the water then re-inflate with new fresh water.