PDA

View Full Version : Is my thermometer broken?

Justin_18
11-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I broke my last thermometer, so naturally i bought another one. There seems to be a problem however. The temperature never goes below 86 degrees. I felt the water and it does not feel this hot but I don't trust my sensory system as an accurate thermometer. The heater is set to 80 and it still comes on a few times a day. So is my heater right? Is it my thermometer that is messed up? Oh and I looked closely at the thermometer, and it appears to have something stuck in the bore, could that be causing the problem?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Justin

Matt
11-10-2005, 08:13 PM
There are hosts of problems with cheap glass thermometers, from miscalibration (scale is on paper, which isn't always aligned or properly attached), to separation of the fluid caused by shaking or overheating, which will give permanently bad readings, to bad manufacturing, to breakage, leaving sharp shards of invisible glass to cut you later.

I don't trust them, and don't have them in either of my display tanks.

The corallife digital is only $15 at Big Al's, and those I own are right on (agree on the temp, and agree with a medical thermometer which I do trust).

Justin_18
11-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Hey thanks alot! I think I'll get the digital one.

Murminator
11-10-2005, 10:48 PM
The corallife digital is only $15 at Big Al's, and those I own are right on (agree on the temp, and agree with a medical thermometer which I do trust).

STOPPP !!! The identical one is at Petsmart for $5.99 :eek:

Matt
11-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Cool, thanks!

Matthew

WWWD
11-10-2005, 11:36 PM

is that true?

Murminator
11-11-2005, 01:41 AM

is that true?

Yup bought 3 of um!!