PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Aquarium

titus
12-04-2001, 03:51 AM
Hello,

Anyone know what's the status of the Vancouver Aquarium on reefs, marine fishes, and corals? Is it worthwhile to go see? I haven't been there..... since what... 10 years ago? What's there to see? Any specific thing to see?

Titus

Acro
12-04-2001, 11:52 AM
Hello Titus,
The aquarium is a fun day for me as I am a diver and enjoy showing freinds and family some of the things I see when diving. I think the cold water tanks are much better then the tropicals for one reason it would be easier to replace water and livestock in these systems the reef is ok one thing I do notice as a diver is many of the captive animals don't appear as health as would in the wild. The outdoor shows have change alot as there are sea lion shows and also a new dolphin so thats intresting the dolphin apears much more active now there is a freind in the tank I always enjoy myself at the aquarium about 3 years ago there was a marine group that got a behind the scenes look at the aquarium that was intresting and perhaps something we could and should look into doing with this group. Later Jamie

Troy F
12-04-2001, 12:02 PM
Jamie, good idea. I nominate you to look into group rates images/smiles/icon_smile.gif .

Intersting observations on the health of the temperate water species. You'd think they'd be in perfect health considering collection and shipping would/should bring very healthy specimens.

Acro
12-04-2001, 12:09 PM
Troy
I'll see what I can find out. As for the health of the temprate species I'm not saying there dieing but clearly appear healther in the wild now I have never dove the tropics purhaps shane has a feeling on this but I would assume that tropical fish would also appear healther in the wild.
Jamie

DJ88
12-04-2001, 02:56 PM
Hey guys,

I try to go every couple of weeks. Especially if i have people visiting.

I find the local stuff fascinating. The reef type tanks aren't too shabby either. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Tho I will say it seems they do have a high turnover of fish in some tanks.

http://members.shaw.ca/montipora/pictures/full_tank.jpg

[ 04 December 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Reefmaster
12-05-2001, 12:36 AM
i have never seen a fish or coral in the tropics that is ill -- except those in areas where swimmers and divers go stomping / crashing into the corals. get away from the really accessible areas and everything looks healthy. guess you have to or you end up someones dinner.
as for the aquarium, one of the engineers i work with was involved in construction mangement of the renovations for the temperature system. i htink he said it has a continuous water change system - draws ocean water in and dumps the water out to make some little fish stream through the park. haven't been there in years so don't know if this sounds likely or not.