PDA

View Full Version : Sea hare ?

rusty
11-10-2005, 03:24 AM
I have got some red hair algee, and I was told at my LFS that a sea hare will eat it, not really trusting them to give sound advice I figured I would ask here. Is this true? Does a sea hare eat red hair algee? What about cyano? ( they told me it eats cyano as well, I didn't think any thing ate cyano) A little help here would be awsome :smile:

Gizmo
11-10-2005, 03:27 AM
I've been looking for one to clean my tank, not of cyano, but of every kind of green algae. Problem is its next to impossible to find one these days. :frown:

rusty
11-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Yes they are hard to get, but do they eat red hair algee?

OCDP
11-10-2005, 03:55 PM
FWIW, my Sea Hare ate every type of algae almost.. cyano , hair algae. etc..

Maybe I just got super lucky with mine

WWWD
11-10-2005, 04:36 PM
cyano isn't algae it's a bacteria so i doubt any sea hare will eat that. i also doubt a sea hare will eat red hair algae (well cept OCDP's), they seem to only go for hair algae. although they will eat nori.

OCDP
11-10-2005, 04:52 PM
All's I know is that my tank was full of nuisance algaes.. cyano, hair.. you name it. Within a couple weeks of adding the sea hare, my reef was spotless. No signs of anything.. it was just like a giant algae eating slug... and it was easy to keep (in a 20g to boot) .. I lost it though.. with only myself to blame for it's death.

crusty1
11-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Mine appears to eat anything, including meaty foods right out of my hands.

doublette
11-11-2005, 01:50 AM
We had some red cotton-ball like algae and our sea hare cleaned it out! :biggrin:

Gizmo
11-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Too Bad its next to impossible to get one :evil:

OceanAquatics
11-15-2005, 05:22 PM
I've got a few Seahares available. you can tag oonto the Edmonton group order if you'd like. Email me your order.
James

doch
11-17-2005, 05:14 PM
I've had 2 of them. The first ate everything, then got stuck in a powerhead when I took off for a few days. The second ate nothing and died soon after getting it... maybe not healthy to start??? Aquarium Illusions has at least one right now... everytime we go my girlfriend tries to convince me to buy it... because she "likes its butt"... lol.

geopod
11-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Aquarium Illusions has them right now.I picked one up yesturday and he is still chowing down on the algae on the glass and rocks..It was a good buy I figure.And I was there today and I think I seen at least 6 og them there.

george