PDA

View Full Version : PVC joint leak question

tinpusher
11-09-2005, 04:46 AM
Filled my tank for the first time tonight to test everything out before adding RO/DI and salt. I have one plumbing leak that I need advice on. Bulkhead leads directly into elbow which is joined to a ball valve. When that ball valve is closed and the overflow box is full of water there is a once every 5 minute drip coming from the elbow to valve joint. Obviously my PVC primer/cement job was not good enough with this connection. What would you suggest as a course of action? The following 3 options are the only ideas I have come up with:

1. Heat the joint with a hot air gun and remove valve to elbow connection. I read this works but never actually tried it. Re-cement and try again.

2. Use some sort of sealant around leaking section. If so what sealant?

3. Put a bucket under it. Once valve is open and tank is operating there will be a minimal amount of water pressure on joint.

Thanks

SuperFudge
11-09-2005, 05:24 AM
Hello,

Remove the standpipe or durso from your overflow box, and shut the pumps off.
Let the boxes drain, and cut the pipe just after the flawed joint, leaving about 1" extra.
Make sure all water is dried up aound the new cut, and glue a slip x slip coupling onto it .

The coupling should butt up against the flawed joint when glued and pressed on, so make sure when the cut is made that you dry fit it to ensure that it will.

Marc.

tinpusher
11-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Thanks but the elbow is flush against the ball valve. There is no extra to cut.

Nemo
11-09-2005, 06:13 AM
Best thing to do is re do it. I know you wanted to hear that

If you leave it the salt will eventualy seal it, but you still run the risk of problems later.

When you glue joints, you should do the following

1. put primer on both sections
2. let the primer dry ( takes less than a minute)
3. put glue on both joints
4. put the pipe in the fitting and give it a turn to make sure the glue is everywhere
5. wipe joint with wet towel to clean the extra glue off.
6. you are done.

Invigor
11-09-2005, 11:55 AM
i always just paste over it with more cement..never had a problem. just make sure you clean it well and make sure it's dry, otherwise the cement will just bubble and peel off.

StirCrazy
11-09-2005, 12:16 PM
The salt creep will seal that small of a leak but will look bad, you can always shut it down and after it is cleaned put some weldon 16 on the joint.

Steve

Johnny Reefer
11-09-2005, 12:18 PM
I would go with your option #2, using silicone sealant.

tinpusher
11-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the options. I think I will start with silicone and if that does not work move onto the Weldon 16 or cement.