PDA

View Full Version : sad days

psuedo
11-09-2005, 12:17 AM
I have been having such horrible luck with my tank lately. All my parameters are excellent and my lighting is great and I skim. All my corals are doing great and have full extension.
My only problem is that I am having trouble keeping fish right now. My Maroon is doing great and so is my high finned goby. All my inverts are happy as heck. However I have lost 3 tangs in the last month or so, a dottyback, and a wrasse. All the fish were eating right up to their demise and were swimming around.
Can it just be chalked up to bad luck? Maybe I am a bad parent? The food is good as it has all been fresh. What else could it be? Any ideas?

Ruth
11-09-2005, 12:22 AM
I just want to say I am sorry for you loss. I went through a period where I kept loosing any small fish that I put in my tank - purple firefish, hector's gobie, and 2 gobies that I can't remember the name of. I finally caught my dottyback chasing the last gobie into my carpet anemone who instantly ate it.
Were the fish new or had they been with you for a while? If new could it have been acclimatation? Almost sounds like you have some kind of parasite in your tank that is attacking your fish but other than that I don't know what to say?

Invigor
11-09-2005, 01:02 AM
untimely unexplainable deaths can sometimes be caused by cyanide poisoning :confused:

psuedo
11-09-2005, 01:14 AM
I think you may have hit it right on the head there Ruth with the parasite suggestion. My yellow tang had a parasitical infection, as it had red blotches all over it towards the end. This however doesn't explain why my goby is still alive and kicking. The clown I can understand because of the anemone and the slime coating. Maybe some parasites only affect some fish and not others?

Abbyreefer
11-09-2005, 02:17 AM
I'm in the same boat as yourself so I feel your loss... I've lost 2 fish recently a purple firefish and a small regal tang about the size of a quarter both were the same as yours eating fine swimming around and all of a sudden ... gee didn't I have another fish in the tank ?? Hope you find your fish.

HimSelf
11-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey man sorry to hear your loss. I wish I can help but I don't know what could be wrong. But don't let it get you down, there are better times ahead :biggrin:

Cheers

Psyire
11-09-2005, 09:17 PM
If you suspect parasites or bacterial infections, it might be a good thing to look into UV sterilizers.

GobiGurl
11-10-2005, 07:32 AM
I've had fish on their sides starting to float, turned on the uv skimmer and had them perk up in no time.

I've noticed, if you have sand, it may look clean but it's full of nasty bacteria that would kill you never mind some defenseless little fish.

Starting to gather things for my 70 gal. and next time.... crushed coral all the way. (Theres nothing grosser than the red multi-legged blobs of some kind of a disgusting worm that oozes from your sand randomly picking at whatever it can find) BLICK!!!! :frown: :sad: :eek: :evil:

Lynn

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Lynn,

If you want some crushed coral, I have buckets of it available. Free for you.

Just needs to be washed before use. :redface:

Anthony