PDA

View Full Version : Why Bob thinks buying zoos from closeup pics is bad.

deacon hemp
11-08-2005, 02:09 AM
I just want to warn anyone contemplating purchasing zoos. Extreme closeup photography is very misleading. The pictures are of zoos if you could get within an inch or two of them. In real life that does not happen.

For instance zoo31- very limited supply. $10.00/polyp. I have lots of those, but nobody wants them

I am not panning the seller, but just warning people that if they buy, they just may be very disappointed.

DAMN...can you guess which zoas i ordered!!! Do you have a pic of those go stamps?

Bob I
11-08-2005, 02:54 AM
I think this is the one you are thinking of. :biggrin:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/rcipema/zoo2.jpg

deacon hemp
11-08-2005, 04:32 AM
I guess we will see if they are the same? i didnt get a huge amount of them so it wasnt too expensive but if they look like that for 10 a polyp i would be dissapointed.Pics can be deceiving! Did you get those exact ones on a previous shippment from ultimatefrags?

Bob I
11-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes pictures are deceiving. You can make a zoanthid look any way you want almost. In the picture I provided the zoos look almost the same. The ones I pictured did not come from Ultimatefrags, but from Canadian Reef a few years ago.

I don't think I will ever buy another zoanthid by looking at a closeup picture, as I have been very disappointed in the past. :sad:

Delphinus
11-08-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm splitting the topic from the marineaquaria.ca thread because the above posts do not have anything to do with the coordination or logistics of the marineaquaria.ca frags order.

Discuss to your heart's content now the zoo closeups and how they don't reflect what a zoo actually looks like.

I have to agree, that picture of a zoo looks nothing like a typical zoo habitat to me. :razz:

OCDP
11-08-2005, 04:57 PM
lol hard not to laugh at a thread title like that...

It's pretty subjective.. I could easily say Bob's picture does not reflect the true colour of that zoo, and mine does even more closely resemble it, as another person could say the same thing. You take a chance... what looks good to you on the site may not look exactly like the zoo you ordered. Why? Not simply because it's a close-up , common... think about the camera being used, the amount of lighting around the zoo, the K rating of the bulb.. the type of bulb... placement in the tank...

It's more than one factor to consider... all in all, you take a chance and that's that. Here is a picture of the same zoanthid, placed high up in my tank under a 150w HQI 14k bulb... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/OCDP2005/IMGP1063Medium.jpg Looks a hell of a lot different than yours Bob :razz: and the website !

albert_dao
11-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Ah hah, hahaha, hah... Laugh of the morning. That sure is an eye catching topic title Tony ;)

Xtasia
11-08-2005, 05:58 PM
The picture looks like green skirted Bubble Gums, which is a very possible morph.

Do people think they are actually Eagle Eyes? Eagle Eyes are much nicer than Bubble gums IMHO... but to each their own :)

Tarolisol
11-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Some pics may be misleading, but ultimatefrags is a company that has goten alot of praise from lost of people so i think if you pay 10 dollars a polyp you will get somthing worth that much, just wait to see.

OCDP
11-08-2005, 06:09 PM
hah, naming zoos.. another thing IMO which is just silly. because then that leads to mis-classification of something that doesn't even exist really... there are too many morphs to say which is which.. to me , they are just zoos with different colours... if you wanna get technical though the other zoos on the rock are "bubble gums" i dunno what the others are called..

Bob I
11-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Some pics may be misleading, but ultimatefrags is a company that has goten alot of praise from lost of people so i think if you pay 10 dollars a polyp you will get somthing worth that much, just wait to see.

Alright then, but if indeed they are the same, or even close to the same, I will sell mine for $8.00/polyp. :eek: Any takers :question:

muck
11-08-2005, 06:23 PM

Alright then, but if indeed they are the same, or even close to the same, I will sell mine for $8.00/polyp. :eek: Any takers :question:

wow at $8 CDN thats a steal!! :mrgreen:

Bob I
11-08-2005, 06:24 PM
hah, naming zoos.. another thing IMO which is just silly. because then that leads to mis-classification of something that doesn't even exist really... there are too many morphs to say which is which.. to me , they are just zoos with different colours... if you wanna get technical though the other zoos on the rock are "bubble gums" i dunno what the others are called..

Absolutely correct. Those names people hang on zoos mean nothing.

And since the zoos in the picture came from my place, I have no name for them. :rolleyes:

Bob I
11-08-2005, 06:26 PM

wow at $8 CDN thats a steal!! :mrgreen:

How many can I put you down for :question: :razz: BTW all my frags have at least 10 polyps on them. :eek:

deacon hemp
11-09-2005, 07:41 AM
damn thats funny i didnt even see this was made into a thread! LOL well i have to say i think these are gonna turn out different then all the ones posted! maybe im wrong but we'll see! I will post a pic when they get here.