PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tank Builder

Jason McK
11-08-2005, 03:57 AM
I'm looking for a customer tank builder.
and I can't remember any of the companies people have used in the past.

I'm not in a rush as the tank room and everything won't be started until Late December.

deep6er
11-08-2005, 05:23 AM
I think ocean aquatics does.

saltynuts
11-08-2005, 04:09 PM
bow valley in calgary. can,t remember the number :lol:

johnny rock
11-09-2005, 05:03 PM
skip BOW VALLEY [A.K.A INTER AMERICAN] bad bad rep! do a search on RC and you'll see.
MIRACLES and AQAURIUM OBSESSED seem to be the top runners in custom stuff.

Bob I
11-09-2005, 05:18 PM
The problem with Inter American is not quality. I have had tanks built there, as have many other people. The problem is delivery. He uses used glass that was broken on construction sites etc., and he often has none in stock, so delivery is delayed. When he has glass in stock there are no problems.

At least that is my understanding. :biggrin:

Delphinus
11-09-2005, 05:26 PM
I had a very reasonable experience with Bow Valley and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. You just have to know that the tank is likely going to take longer to build than promised. In my case I was in no hurry whatsoever, in the end I got my tank, a 280g starphire (or whatever it's called), and I had it delivered and wrestled into my basement, for about half the cost of any of their competitors in the custom tank arena.

If you're in a mondo hurry for the tank, then I imagine it will be a very stressful experience. But if you're not then you should be able to get a very economically priced custom tank.

Bob I
11-09-2005, 05:30 PM
I concur with what Tony said. I ordered a tank, and it was ready for pickup on the promised day. However, other people have not been as lucky. :biggrin:

spikehs
11-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Mine was done basically one time (minus 1 day)... Maybe the people in Calgary get preferential treatment??? Does anyone know if he builds metal stands as well? What is the quality like on those??? Thanks.

Sean

Veng68
11-09-2005, 08:31 PM
if your feeling adventurous......... I have a book on how to build aquariums :biggrin:

Cheers,
Vic[veng68]

Psyire
11-09-2005, 09:13 PM
With Bow Valley, your good so long as your able to drop in and see what's going on. If you don't live in Calgary or have no intention of dropping by, or arguing with Mitch.. then I wouldn't bother. Their tanks are the cheapest, but there are WAY too many horror stories. (holes in wrong spots, thinner glass than ordered, 5+ months to wait)

I had my custom tank done by Aquarium Obsessed and it's very nice. Miracles in Glass are suppose to be very good as well, but they are the most expensive. (atleast when I got my quotes they were)

I believe a company called SeaStar makes aquariums, and they are in BC somewhere, but I don't think they sell to the general public. I'm not sure...