PDA

View Full Version : Dennerle CO2 check valve problems?

Delphinus
11-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Does anyone use one of these? I think they're probably intended more for FW planted setups but I thought I'd try one on my calcium reactor.

Anyhow it appears blocked. With all my might I can't blow any air through it in either direction. Is there some kind of magical "CO2 only" properties to it (I doubt it but I thought I'd ask nonetheless). Or what kind of pressure does it need to open? I don't want to set my CO2 tank at anything higher than 15-20 psi.

The only documentation I can find online is this
http://dennerle.co.uk/Gebrauchsanleitungen/GA_Profi_500.pdf

Where I see it says something to the effect the operating pressure for the check valve is 36 bar, well if 1 psi = 0.0689475729 bar, doesn't that mean it has to be run at .. um .. 522 psi ??? :eek: No, something's not adding up here. What am I overlooking?

Dabbler
11-07-2005, 01:03 AM
14.508 psi= 1 bar

Delphinus
11-07-2005, 04:13 AM
Same conversion rate, just different perspective... 1 / 14.508 = 0.0689

I gave up on the check valve, I can't get anything to go through it. I'll have to check with the vendor maybe to see if I got a bad one.

Dabbler
11-07-2005, 04:18 AM
From the liture that was in the post it said...as far as I read it it is good for up to 35 Bar. So it can take the 522psi with out blowing up. The average person has a hard time blowing over 10psi, it just might be stuck and may need a little encourgment to move and once moving it will work fine. I have had this with a few check valves

Delphinus
11-07-2005, 04:25 AM
Yeah I agree with your interpretation, but I couldn't see anywhere if there was a minimum pressure required. 522 psi is going to blow the reactor to smithereens, so that's kind of out. :lol:

At any rate I did try a couple different things but in the end it was a no go. I ended up using a $.50 air line check valve for now.

Thanks though..

Delphinus
11-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Well for giggles I put it on my reactor anyhow tonight, because my cheap check valve was .. well .. cheap and jammed up anyhow. :lol:

Don't ask me to explain it but it works for CO2 ... I can't for the life of me push any air through it, but CO2 seems to pass through.

I guess it IS some kind of "magical" method for "CO2 only". :lol:

Thanks to Wendell for the kick in the rear end to TRY it before completely giving up on it.

PS. I still wonder how it knows CO2 isn't air?? :confused: :lol: