PDA

View Full Version : itunes=welcome to the suck.

smokinreefer
11-06-2005, 08:43 PM
itunes sucks.
from the get go, had problems with the install on a clean XP machine.
finally got around to getting it to install and then got an error upgrading quicktime, which is apparently needed for itunes to work.

after several attempts/and downloads finally got a version to work.

then today i get an update available/pop up. silly me, i clicked it.
error again. what does that leave me with? nothing.

but looks like the guys over at winamp got a new plug-in update that will support my ipod nano!

yay! no need for itunes anymore!

Funky_Fish14
11-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Thats odd? I have XP, and installed Itunes for my mini, and it worked just fine. I dont ever do the updates however. Glad to hear it has worked out in the end however!

Looks like you've seen the movie Jarhead eh?

Cheers,

Chris

michika
11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Call your local apple store, they'll help you out.

Sorry, I can't be more help, itunes came with my computer.

smokinreefer
11-06-2005, 11:48 PM
heh well heres the weird thing...
i had/and have issues with the itunes install on my 'brand spankin new' Xp machine, but it installed no problems on my old 'barely any room left' pc that has had a million programs installed and uninstalled on...

currently i no longer have itunes installed on my new pc due to that upgrade issue i had. [today]

i'm using winamp now, with the plug in, and will probably just stick with this as i use winamp as my default player anyhow.

heh, i'm actually gonna see jarhead tonight!

KrazyKuch
11-07-2005, 12:50 AM
I have Itunes intalled on my Win XP...Are you sure your windows is up to date....are you running service pack 1 or 2??

smokinreefer
11-07-2005, 01:04 AM
yup. both my pcs are running Xp sp2.

i dunno, i've read the install can be a bit finicking on some pc's...
like i said, it installs prefectly fine on my old pc, but on my new one it took quite a few hours before i could get it installed properly.

it kept giving errors about not having access to certain registry files, but even after i reset permissions on them, it still didnt work.

i do still have the itunes/quicktime download on my computer that did successfully install the last time around. maybe i'll give it another whirl, but i just don't have the need for it now that winamp will take care of my needs!

midgetwaiter
11-24-2005, 12:08 PM
You probably don't care anymore but I bet I know what your problem is.

I'm guessing that your clean XP2 machine isn't. The first thing people do after setting up the O/S these days is install thier favorite spyware / anti-virus / startup blocker stuff. That's good, sort of. These programs are not often written very well, in part because the architecture of windows makes this difficult to do well.

If you first, login as a user with administrative rights to the computer and then disable or remove any "security" software I would almost gauantee that your install will work fine.

This is becomming a common problem. How did you reset the access right on your registry btw? that could come back and kick you in th rear if you did it wrong.