PDA

View Full Version : Shipping frags and courier services

albert_dao
11-06-2005, 04:56 PM
What courier services do people use? What rates should I expect to send frags to people in different parts of the country?

Thanks in advance!

Bob I
11-06-2005, 05:10 PM
I think it is Purolator that offers overnight service. If you get it to them before a certain time in the evening they guarantee delivery before 10 the next day.

At least that is how it worked when Canadian Reef sent me stuff. I am just not sure it was Purolator. :redface:

Ruth
11-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Because of where I live I have to have almost everything shipped in. The only exception is when I get to Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver and even then if I fly I am limited to what I can bring back. I have tried UPS, DHL, Purolator, and the Post office. None does a good job of doing overnight at least to Fort St. John.
I have had a lot of frags, colonies, fish and live rock shipped. By far the best method is to take it to the airport and fly it. Send the buyer the weigh bill # and advise them of the flight and arrival time. I have had live rock shipped on the bus, in the summer, and it worked out OK too but again - the best method is to fly it. I believe you can prebook your shipments on cargo with Air Canada - not sure about West Jet as it does not fly in here.

AndyL
11-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Just keep in mind, only air canada will "allow" you to ship live animals as cargo. (yes greyhound now refuses) So nothing you ship via any carrier will be insured.

Best bet - I hate to say it, is purolator. DHL, UPS, Fedex I've found are less than reliable. Even when you drop @ depot, and hold for pickup at depot (Safest way to ship livestock, never let it hit a route truck).

Purolator has some prepaid box/puropak rates that mean you can usually ship for under 20$ overnight, except to the boonies. I think UPS has some of the same nowadays with all the mailboxesetc becoming the brown store.

Andy

deacon hemp
11-07-2005, 12:23 AM
I think it is Purolator that offers overnight service. If you get it to them before a certain time in the evening they guarantee delivery before 10 the next day.

At least that is how it worked when Canadian Reef sent me stuff. I am just not sure it was Purolator. :redface:

Is that place still kickin? could someone link up the site if it is?

Bayside Corals
11-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Candian Reef went out of buisness, and he has been for quite some time.

Colby

christyf5
11-07-2005, 02:57 AM
I just got a box of corals shipped from Ontario via Air Canada. It arrived within 12 hours and the bag temps were between 74-81F. It was expensive but worth it to have it arrive on time. :biggrin:

Chaloupa
11-07-2005, 04:48 AM
I have one of the small airlines here ship from Vancouver to Campbell River and it was CHEAP and safe! My reef custodian crew arrived safe and sound!

albert_dao
11-07-2005, 05:42 AM
Hmmm, any tips on Calgary to?

So far, looks like I'll be giving Purolator a call tommorow.

Thanks guys!