PDA

View Full Version : how do you stop noisy drians ???

james
11-06-2005, 04:09 AM
my drian pipes are sucking way to much air and i cant get it to stop . i put small holes on top of the 90s that come out of the side of the tank ,down to the sump. i put some air tubing in them .thinking that the air would have somewhere to escape . that is what one person told me to do . it did not work at all that just slowed the drains right down and the pump would drian the sump ..... if any body has any ideas that i could try it would help . :idea: this tank is right beside my bed so i dont think i will be doing to much sleeping if i can't get it right . please help if you can. sorry no pics . i am trying to borrow a cam. to take a few. i was just looking and the noise is coming from just one side. could it be the tank is unlevel . would that cause this problem.

monza
11-06-2005, 05:23 AM
What kind of drains do you have, what size and what sort of flow?

Dave

james
11-06-2005, 06:23 AM
hey . the pump i think is a quiet one 1200 gph . the drians are two, 3/4 inch pipes . the pipe is also 3/4 inch that is on the pump.

andresont
11-06-2005, 09:35 AM
my drian pipes are sucking way to much air and i cant get it to stop . i put small holes on top of the 90s that come out of the side of the tank ,down to the sump. i put some air tubing in them .thinking that the air would have somewhere to escape . that is what one person told me to do . it did not work at all that just slowed the drains right down and the pump would drian the sump ..... if any body has any ideas that i could try it would help . :idea: this tank is right beside my bed so i dont think i will be doing to much sleeping if i can't get it right . please help if you can. sorry no pics . i am trying to borrow a cam. to take a few. i was just looking and the noise is coming from just one side. could it be the tank is unlevel . would that cause this problem.

Here is the solution for quiet over flow , works as a charm for me
it is called durso pipe !
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/
I only added a strainer to part # 8 just in case for snails and fish that get to over flow box ocasianally

tinpusher
11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
I am also trying to decide which drain to go with. I will first mention that I know nothing about drains but in the interest of being well informed here are DIY links to 2 other designs. Opinions welcome.

Stockman Aqua-Silencer Standpipe
http://home.nc.rr.com/stockmanreef/interest.htm

Hofer Gurgle Buster
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/domitron2/HGB/HGB.html

AndyL
11-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Easy solution, would be the one that Fish (chad) promotes.

Basically you add a ball or gate valve to your primary overflow pipe. Add a stand pipe to the second, so that it will act as an emergency overflow (if something blocks the first, rather than overflowing, it'll enter the second before overflowing the tank) Then you adjust the ball/gate valve so that theres a few inches of water in the overflow - keeping air from entering the primary drain and that level remains constant - requires a little fiddling, but it works great.

Andy

muck
11-06-2005, 07:46 PM
I don't think Herbie's overflow would be able to keep up with one 3/4" drain running on a 1200 GPH pump. :confused:

AndyL
11-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Whoops I read quietone 1200 - not 1200gph... in which case, the problem is the waters spilling over already, because you need at least 1.5" for 1200gph - 2 3/4" aren't quite going to keep up.

Andy