PDA

View Full Version : Sump Pump?

tinpusher
11-05-2005, 09:53 PM
I have a Mag return pump in my sump. I live in a house that gets hot in the summer and I am concerned about the heat generated by the pump. I have an idea I want to run by you guys.

Can I put the pump in the sump on a platform above the normal operating water level of the sump but below the power outage water level. It would normally run in the air and not heat the water. If it ran dry for whatever reason it would stop pumping until the tank drained into the sump up to a point where the pump was underwater. The pump would then be primed again and start pumping. Does this make sense?

Nemo
11-05-2005, 11:56 PM
I do not think a Mag pump will draw water up, if you want to keep it out of the water you should drill the sump and mount it out side of the sump

JMO

muck
11-06-2005, 03:10 AM
If it ran dry for whatever reason it would stop pumping until the tank drained into the sump up to a point where the pump was underwater. The pump would then be primed again and start pumping.
Nope even if it did work the pump would overheat and burn out.

KrazyKuch
11-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Mag pumps don't put all that much heat into the water!!!

Lofus
11-07-2005, 03:43 AM
You need a positive pressre on the pump so that it doesnt cavitate and burn out. Technically it is called net positive suction head. If you mount the pump above the water level you will have problems.

To put it less technically, pumps push. They don't suck. I would reconsider.

Delphinus
11-07-2005, 04:43 AM
Submerge the pump, and be ready with a fan or two over the sump in the summer.

tinpusher
11-07-2005, 05:15 AM
That's why I love this site. What sounds good on paper does not always work in practice. Thanks for the advice. I will deal with next summer when it arrives. :biggrin: