PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium

Ruth
11-05-2005, 07:26 PM
I test for and add magnesium as required. I currently use seachem reef advantage magnesium. My question is that I have heard of people adding magnesium to their calcium reactor and am wondering what exactly do they add? Just the straight mag. crystals or epsom salt or ???? Does anyone know? :confused:

reeferaddict
11-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Dolomite from most things I have read... dissolves the same way as Aragonite but has mostly magnesium in it... How much I don't know... :lol:

Ruth
11-05-2005, 08:17 PM
So where would you buy dolomite from? LFS?

StirCrazy
11-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I test for and add magnesium as required. I currently use seachem reef advantage magnesium. My question is that I have heard of people adding magnesium to their calcium reactor and am wondering what exactly do they add? Just the straight mag. crystals or epsom salt or ???? Does anyone know? :confused:

If you ballance everything right at the begining and then set up a reactor properly it should maintain Mg as well as other elements. I never had a problem when My Ca reactor was going.

Steve

reeferaddict
11-07-2005, 09:28 AM
No.... you buy dolomite from a nursery/plant store.... (make sure it says PURE dolomite...) They use it as a soil pH booster same as lime...

Doug
11-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Ruth,
Like Steve, I never had a problem when running my reactor. I used the ARM media and my levels were always around 1300ppm.

EmilyB
11-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Ditto Ruth.

I also do bi-weekly 25% water changes which probably helps too.

Ruth
11-07-2005, 07:46 PM
It's not often that I have to add mag. but I like to try and keep mine about 1350-1400 and sometimes I do have to add a little. I run ARM media in my calcium reactor as well and do bi-weekly water changes but not 25% probably more like 20% if you take the rock into consideration. I just have read a few posts lately on another web site and it seems that a lot of people are also putting - I guess it's dolomite - in their calcium reactor and wondered if it might help with the overall balance.