PDA

View Full Version : Dip your zoas!

fakename
11-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Hi everyone! I'm sure everyone dips their new zoas before they go in the tank.....but just in case..........I got some fairly nice looking zoas from J&L yesterday, and they had quite a few nudis in them. Also on a frag I didn't buy was a really large sundial snail......I watched him suck the life out of a couple of polyps! Kinda cool actually especially since it wasn't my tank!
Not trying to bash J&L, just don't want anyones lovely zoas to crump!
Cheers,
Aaron

GobiGurl
11-06-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about zooanthids?

I dipped the really cool pink ones I got from deacon hemp (yes the beautiful pink huge ones) and it killed them.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

When he's ready to part with more, maybe he'll think of me......

Lynn

deep6er
11-07-2005, 02:28 AM
What do you dip them in?

fakename
11-07-2005, 02:47 AM
YEah I have never heard of zooanthids dying from a dip??? What did you dip them in, and for how long???
Those big pinks look awesome, that musta hurt to loose them :frown:

deep6er
11-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Well I'm new at the sw thing. But I have heard 2 diferent ways sofar.

Dip in fresh for about 30sec
or
dip in sw with alot of iodide in it

i could be doing it wrong so if someone knows the right way please help me.

NanoReef
11-07-2005, 01:40 PM
FW RO/DI dip for 30 seconds or SW and lugols iodide dip for 30 seconds!

Psyire
11-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Heated FW?

Abbyreefer
11-07-2005, 05:30 PM
FW dip should be same temp as your tank.

WWWD
11-07-2005, 06:07 PM
if you killed zoos from a fw dip they must have been in crap condition from the frag. there is no way a fw should have killed them. when you add zoo's to your tank make sure you put them in a higher flow area for a few days so any mucas or buildup gets blown off of them.

Chad
11-07-2005, 11:49 PM
the FW should also be a SW PH, so 8.0 or there abouts.

GobiGurl
11-14-2005, 02:59 AM
Sorry for late reply. And ya... it did hurt big time to lose those beautiful pink zoos. :sad:

I dipped them in fresh water with aqua, for just a minute. I watched in horror over the next couple of days while they got smaller and smaller and eventually disintegrated.

The water was the same temp as my tank but I didn't check the ph. I've done it before with no problem at all so didn't think much of it. Funny thing is I got other zoos from his tank the same day that are doing fine. Same conditions, same dip. :question:

Water under the tank....

Lynn

muck
11-14-2005, 03:02 AM
Funny thing is I got other zoos from his tank the same day that are doing fine. Same conditions, same dip.
Makes me think it wasn't the dip that killed them.

deacon hemp
11-14-2005, 03:41 AM
That sucks lynn,The pinks were in perfect health when you got them (i'm sure you'll agree with that) They still pump out new babies for me every week! I've had a similar pink (big protopalys but more pastel pink) just shrink up to nothing in my tank sitting right beside the new super pinks...I had no idea why? It could be a lighting thing. And lynn i will deffinetley keep you posted when i can cut a frag of them again K! :)