PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 6200

Ruth
11-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Well my new tank has been up and cycling for 2 weeks now. As I have posted before I want this to be a high flow SPS tank so have a closed loop and also have 2 Tunze 6200 run off of a 7095 multicontroller. I have to say that these powerheads kick butt! I run 2 6100's in my 230 but there is a very noticable difference in the amount of flow. Also more options on diverting flow - or bouncing it - off of aquarium walls/rock. Right now for cycling and blowing crap off of the rocks I have them both wide open and have waves on my water surface. My cycle is moving along nicely too. Ammonia 0 nitrites 0.5 and nitrate 40. Another water change on the menu this weekend.

Johnny Reefer
10-25-2006, 02:28 AM
This thread is the closest I could find to what I'm looking for.
I'm trying to decide on two new powerheads. Debating between two Tunze Turbelle Stream 6080's or two VorTechs. There's a slight difference in price between the two :wink:. The Tunze would work just fine if I could hang them off the back wall but point them longitudinally (6' 135g). (I'd like to hide them in behind some LR). Every picture of these powerheads I see, however, shows them with the back of the PH along the hanging bracket....as if to imply that the only way to point them longitudinally is to hang them off a side wall. Many of us are familiar with the MaxiJet line. You know how there are multiple hanging configurations with those? As opposed to just one way? What up with the Tunze? Do they just hang one way only? If so, then I'm seriously considering forking out the extra cash and going with the Vortech for the simple reason that they are way less bulky inside the tank and I don't think I would mind them being out in the open so much. (ie: on a side wall, but in front of the LR. I'll have two corner overflows on this tank and plan to butt the LR right tight against that. Hence my desire to put the Tunze on the back wall).
Any advice and conveyance of experience on Tunze Turbelle Stream PH's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx much and cheers,

Ruth
10-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Holy cow talk about resurecting an old thread there Johnny! I have Tunze streams running in all of my large tanks. I have not tried the vortec so I can't comment on them although I may try a couple in the future. For the Tunze I would not recommend the hanging bracket - go with the magnets - a lot more stable and you can basically put them where ever you can get a flat surface to make the 2 magnets connect through the tank wall. From my research I think that the one thing the Tunze's have over the Vortec is the ability to swing the actual powerhead once it is mounted on the magnet attachment to point in different directions as the mount allows the powerhead to rotate whereas with the vortec you can only point it in one direction once it is mounted. Of course there is a lot more powerhead actually inside the tank but in my mind you still have the actual bulk it is just that half is inside and half is outside of the actual tank with the Vortec.
With that said if I were recommending a Tunze powerhead I would have to recommend the 6100's over the 6200's. I have had 3 of the 6200's sieze up on me. Tunze is excellent about replacing stuff but considering the distance I live from LFS my preference is now the 6100 just for dependability.

Johnny Reefer
10-25-2006, 02:56 AM
..... From my research I think that the one thing the Tunze's have over the Vortec is the ability to swing the actual powerhead once it is mounted on the magnet attachment to point in different directions as the mount allows the powerhead to rotate ....
Ahhh, okay. I'll have to look at the manufacturer's description again, but I don't recall them mentioning that. Why wouldn't they mention that? They're selling themselves short. As for the seizing up...hmmmm. I think Chin Lee had a 6080 seize on him. Maybe the 6100's are the way to go.

Thanx much,

Johnny Reefer
10-25-2006, 03:00 AM
Just found more info. There's a swivel arm attachment that works in conjunction with the magnetic holder.

Chin_Lee
10-25-2006, 04:07 AM
Ahhh, okay. I'll have to look at the manufacturer's description again, but I don't recall them mentioning that. Why wouldn't they mention that? They're selling themselves short. As for the seizing up...hmmmm. I think Chin Lee had a 6080 seize on him. Maybe the 6100's are the way to go.

Thanx much,

keep in mind that my tunze was a few years old and back then, the magnet impeller fit in the hole a lot tighter than the new ones. Apparently the new ones have more room allowing more time to pass between cleaning the device so the new ones shouldn't seize like mine did if they are cleaned properly.

Psyire
10-25-2006, 04:44 AM
I like my 2x 6100s, they move some serious water. It took me a long time to get them situated so that they would stop moving my sand all over. (I really wish I would have went BB)

Skimmerking
10-25-2006, 10:25 PM
I love my BB tank and would never go back if you paid me Ruth. GO for it what do you have to loose. If you have a refugium and clams it will take the nitrates out with that.. That is what i found with BB lots of flow and a cleaner tank too. I hardly clean my glass. Now if I can only keep my hands out of the tank ..