PDA

View Full Version : can clams and mantis shrimps co-exist?

fresh
11-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi all,

I found out that I have a mantis residing in my new 72gal reef. I decided that I will not be adding any more fish (other than my 2 clowns) until I catch the monster.

However since this might be a lengthy process (months if not years), I have decided to make my tank a strictly reef with the 2 clowns. I have been buying corals and have noticed that the mantis didn't destroy them or attack them at all.

The question is: Will the clams be ok in the tank? If I put a clam or two, will the mantis think of it as a very expensie $50+ dinner? I will be royally ****ed if he kills the clam(s).

I just want to know before I go ahead and buy clams.

thanks in advance.

MO

vanreefer
11-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Hey Fresh,

as far as the clam... just a guess.... but I would be wary... as you said it would be at least a $50 meal for the mantis... my thought is as soon as the clam moved (opened or closed) the mantis would become attracted to it

on the other hand

If you catch the mantis without killing it ... I'll take it....or buy it.

LMK

kari
11-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Personally I had a mantis with clams for quite some time and no problems. I figure there shouldn't be any problem except you can kiss the clowns goodbye if it gets hungry.

I messed around for a long time trying to catch the shrimp with traps and such until one fine day I decided to pull out the rock that it took cover in. Simple and painless. The shrimp lived to move on to another tank.