PDA

View Full Version : Need a little electrical help

Murminator
11-03-2005, 09:21 PM
I got these 2 huge ballasts my questions are...

1. Can I only use 2 T12 bulbs to a max of 110w? or can I use smaller bulbs but do not go over 110w?

2. Are these HO ballasts?

3. If I can run more than 2 bulbs can I just splice into the wire coming off.

4. What kinda endcaps are needed? or are they bulb specific

Help !!!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Murminator/Ballast.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Murminator/ballast2.jpg

Invigor
11-03-2005, 10:20 PM
i'm not a pro at these, but I don't think you'll be able to use these for 110w VHOs, they're made for 8ft NO t12s. I don't think they'll have the "OOMPH" to fire VHOs as they require 1500mA or something..NO are 600mA.. my numbers might be off, but it's something like that..

if it was a HO ballast it'd say so in the bulbs it works with.. like F96T12HO

something along the lines of that... :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

edit: I stand corrected on the highlighted statement. It IS a HO ballast. http://www.ballast.com/eCatalog/out/1425513961.pdf

Murminator
11-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the reply that helps out I couldn't find anything in the net. It did take me to the advance ballast but I was looking for Philips.
Answers some questions but not all anyone else?

reefburnaby
11-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi,

IMHO, your ballast mislabeled. Actually it should say F96T12HO where HO is for high output (or double normal output). NOs usually have a lamp current of 430mA (for T12) and HOs have double that. VHOs have double that of HOs. Its commonly used in store signs.

Phillips ballats are made by Advanced Transformers (which is why they look so similar).

To answer....
1. No. A single 8 foot lamp would take 110W. If you shorten it to 4 foot, it will reduce or increase the power delivered to the lamp. Its uncertain since it depends on how the ballast is constructed. One thing to note is that using this ballast on shorter lamps does reduce the life of the bulb. However, this is not usually a problem in our tanks since we replace the bulb before the bulb completely burns out.
2. Yes.
3. No and maybe. I would not recommend putting the bulbs in parallel (its a safety thing). However, you may be able to make it work by putting in series but there are no guarantees.
4. Normal end caps can be used. Official and standard HO bulbs usually have a different end cap but we don't use those bulbs in aquariums.

- Victor.

KrazyKuch
11-04-2005, 09:33 PM
For that ballast you will have to use T-12 bubs!!!

StirCrazy
11-05-2005, 01:15 AM
Hi,

IMHO, your ballast mislabeled. Actually it should say F96T12HO where HO is for high output (or double normal output). NOs usually have a lamp current of 430mA (for T12) and HOs have double that. VHOs have double that of HOs. Its commonly used in store signs.

Phillips ballats are made by Advanced Transformers (which is why they look so similar).

To answer....
1. No. A single 8 foot lamp would take 110W. If you shorten it to 4 foot, it will reduce or increase the power delivered to the lamp. Its uncertain since it depends on how the ballast is constructed. One thing to note is that using this ballast on shorter lamps does reduce the life of the bulb. However, this is not usually a problem in our tanks since we replace the bulb before the bulb completely burns out.

- Victor.

Victor, a ballast is a constant current source it will not vary the power to the bulb but maintain a constant amperage, the resistance caused by the bulb is what determines the power difference, and no using a shorter tube will not burn it out faster.

also the ballast wiring diagram clearly shows a parallel set up so using two wires per bulb should be fine.

Steve

reefburnaby
11-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Hi Steve,

Victor, a ballast is a constant current source it will not vary the power to the bulb but maintain a constant amperage, the resistance caused by the bulb is what determines the power difference, and no using a shorter tube will not burn it out faster.

also the ballast wiring diagram clearly shows a parallel set up so using two wires per bulb should be fine.

These aren't constant current power sources at all. You are probably confusing these magnetic ballasts with electronic ballasts (which are constant current). Ballasts are just devices that can start and keep a light glowing - nothing about constant current or how it starts the lamp.

Simply, a magnetic ballast is big resistor (which is frequency dependent - but it looks like a resistor at 60 hz). The magnetic ballasts with the lamp form a big resistor divider. Since lamps have a known ANSI characteristic (i.e. F40T12 have a specific characteristic that is published in ANSI specs), they can design a ballast (aka a resistor) to light it properly. Some lamps have very similar characteristics, so they can use a single ballast for several types of lamps. However, some are so dissimilar, that its impossible to meet. The point is that these ballasts are design to work with a specific set of lamps with similar characteristics. Once you deviate from these lamps, the ballast will operate in unknown territory. Lamps will glow brighter or dimmer depending on the electrical characteristics of the lamp and how it interacts with the resistor (aka ballast). Electronic ballasts are different since they are constant current and not simply a resistor formed by a big coil. Also, that's why you can easily overdrive with electronic (and predictably), but its not so predictable with rapid start magnetic ballasts.

Why am I saying this ballast can damage shorter tubes? Well, it all has to do with the fact that this ballast is designed for long 8 foot tubes. It takes a very high voltage to ionize the gas in the 8 foot tube such that the tube can conduct current and glow. The longer the tube, the large the high voltage strike. Unfortuntely, these strikes damage the electrodes on the lamp....larger voltage....more damage. The 8 foot tubes are specifically designed to withstand these larger voltages, but 4 foot tubes are not as well designed. So, these 4 foot tubes may have reduced lifetimes because of this effect.

As for the parallel thing, I thought he was going to try to hook up 4 tubes on one ballast. Two tubes on a ballast is alright (its designed for that), but 4 tubes is not reliable or safe. This is a rapid start magnetic ballast and I would be worried about what it will do with 4 tubes -- especially 4 4 foot tubes.

But...its all IMHO :D

- Victor.[/quote]

StirCrazy
11-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Ok sorry I thought it was an electronic ballast. and I stand corrected, Damn magnetic ballast arn't suppost to look so new :mrgreen:

Steve

KrazyKuch
11-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Well considering that you can still buy magnetic ballasts you will still see them in new condition!!!

StirCrazy
11-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Well considering that you can still buy magnetic ballasts you will still see them in new condition!!!

ya ya ya, but the question is why would anyone want to buy a magnetic ballast, just upgrading to an equivelent electronic ballast gives you 5 to 10% more light out put with less total power used and the price is comparable to each other.

Steve

Invigor
11-05-2005, 11:38 PM
and electronic ballasts don't limit you nearly as much to what bulbs you have to use :mrgreen: that's why I love em!

KrazyKuch
11-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Because most people don't understand that they are swapable.....

KrazyKuch
11-06-2005, 11:11 PM
also think if you have say 10 lights in a room and one ballast burns out, if you replace it with an electronic ballast it will be brighter then all the others!!!!