PDA

View Full Version : Shipping?

NanoReef
11-03-2005, 05:03 PM
i dont know if this belongs in here or not but, what is the best way to ship zoanthids?

Xtasia
11-03-2005, 05:09 PM
A good thread on one way to ship...
http://www.zoosrus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c483e53b95f39c35d05dd63fe18b24c4&threadid=931

Depending on the weather conditions... Personally, I think Shipping Zoos dry with saltwater moistened, CLEAN, papertowel in a pressurized bag, then put into a styrofoam + heatpack if neccessary. is better than using water in a pressurized bag. Seems to be gentler on the Zoo for acclimatization purposes.

Zoos are hardy and can be out of the water for hours in their natural environment.

Lots of people use thermoses to protect their zoos but it might be overkill.

HTH.

OCDP
11-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Send zoos completely out of water??? :eek:

I don't know if I would risk that, as the person receiving the zoos may be extremely disappointed if they are dead.

My questions are... because I am such a noob to shipping corals... where od you take the package to be sent out!? lol... just to the post office?

Xtasia
11-03-2005, 05:13 PM
YOu don't dry them off... you just wrap them in moistened paper towels..

WWWD
11-03-2005, 05:14 PM
zoos get shipped from the suppliers in wet newspaper, its fine.

OCDP
11-03-2005, 05:17 PM
I never said anything about completely drying them off, clearly that would not be a smart thing to do.

That is interesting... sorry, I guess I just made this weird assumption that like most corals and livestock we keep should be kept in water..

WWWD
11-03-2005, 05:20 PM
blah.. comment removed, coffee needed.

OCDP
11-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Hey, you learn something new every day. I thought this forum was for learning new things... this being one of them. Let's not start a flame shall we...

Xtasia
11-03-2005, 05:29 PM
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=880622&

Here is additional information on Dry shipping for the Skeptical... Courtsey of google. hope this helps :)

NanoReef
11-03-2005, 06:16 PM
im with you OCDP, i would like to use the thermose method howver i would need 2 or 3 or 4!

OCDP
11-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Well I think what you do is find a bigger thermos, or if you have one of those metal coffee cups.. you would insulate the inside of the cup with a baggy, and double bag so it does not leak. Check out that original link provided by Sushi (thank you for that) It is a great idea.. and you would be able to pack all 4 in one go. To be extra safe, I would probably use 3 baggys to make darn sure there is no leaking, and I wuold then duct tape the lid on super tight on the coffee cup.

Scott

NanoReef
11-03-2005, 06:32 PM
ya, thats a good idea, however, how do all fit in 1??? in seperate bags??? all in 1 bag???

christyf5
11-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Actually part of the arguement for "dry" shipping is that the coral will use up any available oxygen in the water and foul it up as well (sloughing tissue/mucous etc.) Then it has to sit in its own crap for the rest of the time its being shipped, resulting in a really ticked off coral when it arrives. By shipping without water, yet in a moist environment, the coral simply acts as if its "low tide" and is prepared for this. Granted it can't spend forever in this environment, but it usually arrives in far better condition.

JMHO

Christy :)

Xtasia
11-03-2005, 06:35 PM
haha you guys are soo overkill. its cute.

put the box into a box into a box too!

NanoReef
11-03-2005, 06:39 PM
lol, i just dont want them to arrive dead

Bob I
11-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Let me tell you a horror story about shipping. A couple of years ago I bought $200.00 worth of zoos from Canadian Reef (no longer around) :rolleyes: He shipped them using a courier that guaranteed delivery by 10:00 AM the next day. Of course they were sent to the wrong place, and the shipper had to drive a long way to pick them up, and resend them :mad: When they finally arrived a day later, some of the zoos had fallen of the rocks they were glued onto. They did not look at all like the pictures he had on his website. :sad:

He replaced a couple of them, but when they arrived the temperature in the bag was 15 degrees C. One of them was dead, and the other took a very long time to recover.

I am thinking that maybe a thermos sent expresspost would be better. :mrgreen:

OCDP
11-03-2005, 06:40 PM
hahah I am just taking a lot of precaution as I have never shipped out corals before. But if we use the dry/moist method i don't have to worry about so many bags :razz:

NanoReef
11-03-2005, 06:44 PM
ya, however, im so cunfused on how is the best way to ship them!!!! :mad: