PDA

View Full Version : how do you tell if it is dyed?

HimSelf
11-03-2005, 03:10 AM
I was wondering how do you tell if a coral is dyed?

Thanks

Ruth
11-03-2005, 03:15 AM
From what I have heard sometimes the dye will actually come off on your hands and into the water and you can actually see it in your skimmate. I think if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

HimSelf
11-03-2005, 03:19 AM
if I bought a coral and found out is dyed. Do you think the LFS that I bought from would take it back?

lil_clownfish13
11-03-2005, 03:48 AM
they sure should!

if they didnt know it was dyed im sure they would take it back-- they sold it to you under a false pretense

if they knew it was dyed, and sold it to you saying it wasnt-- or implying it wasnt-- they still sold it under a false pretense--

if they dont take it back -- id get mad

psuedo
11-03-2005, 06:37 AM
dyed corals are everywhere, and most stores would not take it back. The more reputable stores would not even put dyed corals in their tanks because they would want to protect their reputation. The stores that would carry them periodically wouldn't give you you money back.
A certain term comes to mind here, CAVEAT EMPTOR. Before buying the coral do your research on them, then decide whether you think it is dyed.

Ken
11-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Hi, what type of coral are you suspicious of that is dyed? regards Ken

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-03-2005, 10:09 AM
If you see extremely bright yellow leathers (unless they specify that it's from Fiji), it's dyed. I've also seen a LFS sell purple & pink finger leathers & colts that are obviously dyed & have probably died already. When I asked about them, I was told that they only bring in what people want to buy. People need to be informed so they stop buying these dyed corals or the LFS has little incentive not to bring them in. Also, if you see some anemones that are supposed to be white but are a bright colour, then it may be dyed as well. I think Sebae anemones are the ones I saw.

Anthony

HimSelf
11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Has anyone seen the white anemone with the bright pink tip at Big Al's in Richmond? It is in 33gal display tank right before you go in to the fish room.

I always wondered if that was dyed :confused: The pink color looks too good to be ture.

mr_alberta
11-03-2005, 02:20 PM
White anemone with pink tips? Is it a Condy?

Delphinus
11-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Has anyone seen the white anemone with the bright pink tip at Big Al's in Richmond? It is in 33gal display tank right before you go in to the fish room.

I always wondered if that was dyed :confused: The pink color looks too good to be ture.

Like Newguy says, it could be a condy (Condylactis sp.), kind of sounds like one based on your description.

Generally speaking, when an anemone is dyed, the colour is generally uniform throughout.

HimSelf
11-03-2005, 06:16 PM
it doesn't look like a Condylactis sp the base and tenticles are different. I think it might be a BTA so some type.

You should see the pink tip, it looks so bright pink that I think it might glow in the dark :mrgreen:

Van down by the river
11-04-2005, 08:09 AM
This subject has been discussed before:

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3930&highlight=dyed

This link is very helpful:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dyedcorals.htm

fakename
11-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Did you buy one of those super expensive yellow leathers that are at Big Als right now?? They are beautiful but really do look dyed.......some of the guys who work there were even talking about how they were likely dyed.....
As for that anemone, it looks like a rose tip BTA to me.....I am hoping they tear down that tank too just so I can buy it!!