PDA

View Full Version : ASM Skimmer vs Euro-reef

Werbo
11-03-2005, 03:04 AM
How does the performance of ASM skimmers measure up against Euro-Reef skimmers?
Does anyone know any studies ect that have been done?
I have heard nothing but good things about Euro-Reef. Are the ASM owners out there happy with the performance?

rickjames
11-03-2005, 04:41 AM
Yes.... love my ASM, also saved a bunch of money over the euroreef.

vanreefer
11-03-2005, 05:12 AM
G4x rocks

Abbyreefer
11-03-2005, 05:31 AM
I think the biggest difference is probably going to be the price... I have the G2 and love it.
________
volcano vaporizer classic (http://vaporizers.net/volcano-vaporizer)

rayyue
11-03-2005, 06:21 AM
i'm using a g2 for my 120g reef tank, it is great, i love it

Delphinus
11-03-2005, 03:26 PM
I run a G1X on a 90 and I'll be running a G3 on my new 115g cube (if I ever get the plumbing fixed on it). I love these skimmers. My G1X is no beckett in terms of performance but where it trumps the beckett is the consistency of foam production, recovery time after a tank feed, and sheer ease of cleaning. Whereas it took me up to 5 minutes to wrestle apart my beckett for cleaning it takes me 30 seconds on the ASM. It's brilliant.

Euroreef skimmers are a little more money, but they seem to be a little more solidly built. The pumps and basic design are the same. If you have the extra cash go for the Euroreef, but if economy is a concern then consider the ASM. Either way you choose, you won't regret it.

I haven't put my G3 into use yet so I can't comment on its performance but I'm sure it will be decent. I'm modifying it to be recirculating and fed by gravity via the tank overflows, once I have some of the wrinkles figured out to my plan this ought to be a pretty slick setup I think.

Werbo
11-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks everyone. Anyone have any negative experiences with the ASM larger models (G3 & G4)??

Ruth
11-03-2005, 04:32 PM
I love the G3 on my 230g but am going to be upgrading to a GX4. I have a G4 that I tried running for a week or so and did not find it as efficient as my G3. I may not have given it enough time but I pulled it out and put the G3 back in. I just found the G4 underpowered. I did order a new pump for it (Sedra 9000) but it will not fit without a mod of some sort that I am too challenged to figure out.

Werbo
11-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks Ruth. Your second person to mention that the Sedra 5000 in too small for the G4. Where are you planning on ording your G4X from? Directly from ASM or through OA?

Would the G3 be ideal on a 120G with 50-90G sump?

Delphinus
11-03-2005, 05:51 PM

Boy I hope so seeing as that's what I have. Unfortunately the tank is empty so I can't offer any insight myself but I am gonna be unhappy if someone comes along and says "Oh yeah, no way will that be enough." :neutral:

WWWD
11-03-2005, 05:57 PM

Boy I hope so seeing as that's what I have. Unfortunately the tank is empty so I can't offer any insight myself but I am gonna be unhappy if someone comes along and says "Oh yeah, no way will that be enough." :neutral:

what are you planning on keeping? i know this is diffrent but i don't run a skimmer at all and everything looks good, so anything would be a step up for me.

rickjames
11-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks Ruth. Your second person to mention that the Sedra 5000 in too small for the G4. Where are you planning on ording your G4X from? Directly from ASM or through OA?

I have the g4x and it is awesome. There is a thread in here somewhere on where to order, but I think i got mine from premium aquatics in the states and with shipping and tax it was just over 600$ to my door. Very good deal and you do not have to pay duty has they are clearly marked "made in the u.s.a." on the side of the box. My advice is take advantage of NAFTA :razz: and order from the states.

Ruth
11-03-2005, 08:00 PM
I actually ended up getting mine off of the buy and sell of another board in the States. It is brand new and also has the factory gate valve mod and it was $325US.
I am currently using a G3 on my 230 and am not unhappy with the performance but I think it is a bit too small as I do have a large bio load in this tank.
After watching what my BK400 is pulling out of my 190 that is currently cycling I am convinced that it is not pulling enough out.
Once I actually get the GX4 and get it hooked up I will post in the product reviews for anyone that is interested.