PDA

View Full Version : Question about reef putty/epoxy

Fish
11-03-2005, 02:14 AM
First of all, where do you guys get yours from?
I would like to use some to form three pieces of live rock into one single piece. I am assuming that there is a period of time required for it to cure.
Is it dangerous to your tank during this curing period? There are corals attached to the rocks and a mantis shrimp that I don't want to harm...
Thanks!

- Chad

monza
11-03-2005, 06:14 AM
I buy mine at Wai's or tag it on with other mail orders if I need it.
No it does not harm your tank while it is curing/setting up. Another tip you might want to try if it works in your application is acrylic rods. You drill holes into each rock insert the rod slip them together, works really well and you can still use the putty if needed.

Dave

Fish
11-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip!

- Chad

deacon hemp
11-04-2005, 12:01 AM
I am going to be using the acrylic rod method aswell.

Ruth
11-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Where do you buy acrylic rods? I am going to aquascape my rockpile this weekend and would like to use them.

deacon hemp
11-04-2005, 02:09 AM
i get all my plastics at www.plasticworks.ca they have everything.

Ruth
11-04-2005, 02:18 AM
Would they carry stuff like that in a glass shop? Or a hardware store? I am pretty limited up here on stuff i can access.

monza
11-04-2005, 04:09 AM
In Calgary and other cities there is a place called Industrial Paints and Plastics. Maybe bigger hardware stores or hoppy shops?

Depending on you rock, drill the whole smallish and ram the rod in nice and tight and thats it no glue or putty needed if you get lucky.

Dave