PDA

View Full Version : Please help keep me Sane...

Psyire
11-03-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm having a lot of difficulty with a certain problem.

It's regarding Pump vibration and sump resonating noises.

If you can please check out my RC thread here and offer any advice, I'd be super happy.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=680950

monza
11-03-2005, 06:24 AM
interesting read, I'd go insane!

Dave

Nemo
11-03-2005, 06:34 AM
I'm having a lot of difficulty with a certain problem.

It's regarding Pump vibration and sump resonating noises.

If you can please check out my RC thread here and offer any advice, I'd be super happy.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=680950

I would do 2 things.

1. put flex between the sump and the pumps, you can put the valves on the other end of the bulk heads inside the sump to give you more room for the flex.

2. If you have any other holes in your sump move one of the pump inlets to another side of the sump.

3. add foam to the under side of the sump

JMO

Psyire
11-03-2005, 03:15 PM
I would do 2 things.

1. put flex between the sump and the pumps, you can put the valves on the other end of the bulk heads inside the sump to give you more room for the flex.

2. If you have any other holes in your sump move one of the pump inlets to another side of the sump.

3. add foam to the under side of the sump

JMO

1. I just did this on the skimmer pump and it had no effect on the noise at all. I haven't done the return pump because it's a lot of work and I don't think it'll do anything. I only have about 7.5" of room for hose. (without the valve)

2. This isn't an option due to my setup and location, it's tight.

3. The entire bottom of my stand is lined with foam, everything is sitting on foam.

I'm going to try out the rubber coupler idea and hope I can get somewhere with that. It's very annoying, in many ways...

vertex
11-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Aside from what others said about trying to quite things in the first place, as far as the resounance goes, sound resonates due to the sound wavelengths bouncing inside the container or cabinet and the size is just right to amke the waves amplifly on top of each other. If you change the size of the cabinet or volume in the cabinet, it will kill the resonance quite a bit (at least disturb it). Try putting in some large solid objects to change the volume, size of the cabinet and the resonance should dissappear. Now you still need to quite other things down also.

Psyire
11-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks,

Maybe I'll try a large foam block in the sump, perhaps that will do something...

I have been contemplating changing the one pump to a PCX40 which runs at 3000 rpm as opposed to 3200 rpm. As it stands I have 2 pumps running at 3200 rpm each. (Identical pumps) Would changing one out so they are running at different RPM change anything? (3200 & 3000)

vertex
11-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Foam helps to dampen sound but will not totally block the sound waves when it comes to resonance. Try something solid first to see if it helps. Just throw stuff in there from around the house to see what works...