11-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Anyone have a fish trap I could borrow?
I have a fish that needs to go.

KrazyKuch
11-02-2005, 10:24 PM
will a net not work???

Joe Reefer
11-02-2005, 11:57 PM
I thought I might try a less evasive method before ripping apart my system.

snailbuddy
11-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Any luck? Do you still need a trap??

Murminator
11-24-2005, 02:12 AM
Would it be that goldenhead goby? LOL....Mine was easy to catch he would eat mysis so he would come to the surface to eat I would have the net propped above the water and dive bomb him into the net.

I read if you take a 2 litre clear pop bottle and rip the labels off clean it up and cut the top off lay it on its side on the bottom with food in it because being see-through the fish will swim in and just put the net over the other end and lift him out give it a shot

HTH :cool:

Joe Reefer
11-24-2005, 02:32 AM
Would it be that goldenhead goby? LOL
Yes
:bad-word:
I have tried almost everything bottle trap, bag trick, net, spear. Ok maybe not spear but the thought has run though my head. This weekend when I get the time I am going to try and fish him out with a tiny hook I borrowed off a friend of mine. (fly fisherman) I will post how things go.

I did find this thread on reefcentral:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=707656

It was helpful enough to catch every other fish in my tank.

snailbuddy
11-24-2005, 07:04 PM
That is exactly what I was going to suggest . . . we just caught a couple of groupers out of a friends tank. Tiny fish hooks (file the barbs off for easy catch and release!) and a bit of silverside on as bait. Caught the first fish in less than a minute - the second one took about 5 minutes. The hook didn't actually pierce their lip, they were just so greedy that they hung on tight! If it is a sleeper goby that you are trying to catch - no problem! Mine totally wants the fish hook, he's making it hard for me to catch the coral beauty, hahaha!

Gizmo
11-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Heh, I'm having the same problem with this bicolor angel. Damn fish is apparenty smarter than I am :evil: I think I'm at the point where I need to rip my system apart to catch the bugger.

snailbuddy
11-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Seriously . . . try a little fish hook! It didn't hurt the fish at all - no stress to the rest of the tank . . . and it was fun :biggrin:

rickjames
11-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Would it be that goldenhead goby? LOL
Yes
:bad-word:
I have tried almost everything bottle trap, bag trick, net, spear. Ok maybe not spear but the thought has run though my head. This weekend when I get the time I am going to try and fish him out with a tiny hook I borrowed off a friend of mine. (fly fisherman) I will post how things go.

I did find this thread on reefcentral:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=707656

It was helpful enough to catch every other fish in my tank.

I faced the same problem you are having and did settle for the spear! :mad: I used a flashlight in the dark and didn't end up hitting the goby but he was so confused that I was able to net him after trying to spear him a couple times. I tried the fish hook thing too and that will work if the fish is an active feeder. I have size 24 fly hooks that are absolutely tiny.

My suggestion is whatever you try, try it when the lights are out.

Joe Reefer
11-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Did the fish make it or not?
In all the times that I have looked in my tank at night I have never saw him out.

I do have the hook and I am going fishin tonight. :lol:

oh and on more thing

I'm Rick James B!^*@

Joe Reefer
11-25-2005, 01:42 AM
I got him! :smile: No problem as soon as he saw the hook tipped with mysis he took it. It was less than 30 seconds and did no damage or stress to any of the other inhabitants. I will definately be using this tech. again.

snailbuddy
11-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Success is good! I'm fishing for a coral beauty tonight!