fishguyxd
11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
I have a friend that is going to be setting up a 120 gal
what type of filter type setup is good t use canister or what
he will be keeping koa in it

Beverly
11-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Al,

Do you mean "Koi"? If so, these fish grown to 24" as adults and are really meant to be kept in outdoor ponds. A 120g is going to be too small for them over the long term.

However, I would use at least two AquaClear 500s on a 120g. Fill the media chambers with foams instead of the carbon and other inserts that come with the 500s. Thoroughly clean the foams weekly in outgoing changewater.

Kept an indoor pond many years ago for four flat-bodied goldfish. Started out with 1 1/2" substrate, but found it was tough to get all the crud out. Finally went BB and crud siphoning was easy and way more efficient.

fishguyxd
11-02-2005, 09:40 PM
yes I did mean Koi he is also setting up a pond for them in the summer but looking for info on what type filter (cannister or aqua clears) or seeing what's available something that is not going to nickel and dime him.

Beverly
11-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Al,

I think your friend should do a whole lot of research on pond set up and care before buying koi for an indoor tank. There are lots of things to know about ponds, the least of which is what kind of filter to use in an indoor tank.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I think the pond should be set up first, have it run for a year before getting fish. That's just my opinion, though, and I have not had an outdoor pond or kept koi.

Hopefully people with experience in this area will offer suggestions :smile:

fishguyxd
11-03-2005, 12:27 AM
he has been working with the fish for a little while but this new tank might have other fish or he might eep the koi in another place for the winter but my I don't know which filter system to recommend to him my thoughts were something like a rena but i have not alot of info on them and Bev no i do mind you being blunt :smile: no harm. I just put this post to others that are more experienced. my friend had a small aquaclear ?? and i was unsure if there were still effecient in larger setups

Dabbler
11-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Well Al I have a 135 freash tank and on that tank I have 1 AC 500, 1 Magnum 350, and 1 eheim canister. it is a little over kill for filtration but it just means I can clean one filter at a time and not have to worry about the bio filter. How may Koi will he be putting in the tank? I would give them a gravel bottom as they like to play with the rocks. Koi are a messy fish so he will have to keep up with the water changes

Beverly
11-03-2005, 01:07 AM
AquaClear 500s are the biggest the company makes. They turn over a lot of water. Don't know anything about Renas but have had lots of experience with three AC 500s on a 180g housing oscars, also very messy fish.

Filter media NEEDS to be cleaned weekly and bottoms need to be siphoned weekly to keep nitrate levels low. AC 500s are easy to get at the filter media compared to canisters, imo. Never owned a canister because they all looked so dang hard to get opened and closed, then primed again for use. I'd say go with the AC 500s. They're efficient and easy to use.

fishguyxd
11-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Thanks I passed the info on and he is going to probably look into the AC500 for starters and a good base gravel .

:smile:

Beverly
11-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Go BB with these fish. No substrate at all. Easier to clean up and a lot less nitrate to contend with.