PDA

View Full Version : What color to paint inside of hood

Samw
09-23-2002, 11:36 PM
I'm ready to paint the inside of my DIY hood. Reading RC, one person said that flat white was the best. Do we all agree?

I guess paints for Marine applications are the way to go?

[ 23 September 2002, 19:40: Message edited by: Sam W ]

StirCrazy
09-23-2002, 11:43 PM
are you going to use reflectors? if so it doesent matter much.. I would use a high gloss over a flat as it will take more cleaning.. personaly I just used spar urathain.

Steve

fishboy
09-23-2002, 11:46 PM
I did mine with a flat white bathroom paint(anti-mildew it claims on the can). It sealed nicely with two coats but I put a third on to make sure. It still looks good after a year.

Samw
09-24-2002, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yes, there are reflectors. However a lot of light still bounces off the canopy as the reflector doesn't surround the bulb completely. I'd like to reflect some of this light back into the tank.

I'll probably go with marine paint. Will I still need a primer or can the marine paint be applied directly on wood?

[ 23 September 2002, 20:19: Message edited by: Sam W ]

EmilyB
09-24-2002, 12:21 AM
We just did coats of marine paint I believe. However, one thing I always wanted to try was a tip from someone (good source IMO) who used the bathtub/porcelain type paint, although I don't know all the details of doing that.

Canadian
09-24-2002, 04:03 AM
I've used 2 part, high gloss, epoxy paints in the past but even they yellowed with the long term exposure to high intensity lighting and significant heat in the hood. I'd just go with a high gloss white paint and put a clear coat on it, or go with some marine paint if you're so inclined. I'd be cautious of "anti-mildew" paints for fear that the chemicals could potentially find their way into your reef (via potential paint chips or something of that nature).

Old Guy
09-24-2002, 03:24 PM
I used high gloss white Varathane paint I got a Home Depot. It's indoor outdoor marine grade paint that needs no primers or sealers.

reefburnaby
09-25-2002, 12:36 AM
Hi,

I use the Fletcher Supergloss white paint. Basically, polyurethane with colour. Its good for a couple of years and you'll need to repaint it because it will yellow over time (UV breakdown). White flat paint with clear polyurethane works too.

- Victor.