PDA

View Full Version : Large tank setup

rudy
10-30-2005, 02:20 PM
I have a 270 gallon 7 foot by 30 inches wide that I will be converting to salt.
It has a 106 gallon sump

Couple of questions regarding it.

I have two coralife superskimmer 220. Could I use both of these rather having to get a new skimmer to handle the size? \

Also what should the sump setup be like. Currently I run fresh so have a ton of bioballs with a drip tray and filterfloss. Basically the water goes through the drip tray into the bioballs into a partitioned chamber and runs over the glass partition into another foam chamber. How would I change this to suit it better for a salt setup?

What does a tank like this need for water changes? Same as a smaller tank? 10% weekly? Or could you cut it down a bit because of the size.

I plan to have over 250 lbs of live rock and some Tuffa for seeding.

Thanks in advance

mr_alberta
10-30-2005, 03:18 PM
How the sump is set up depends on what you want to do with the tank. Are you doing a Fish Only tank or a Reef? If you are doing a Fish Only, then your trickle filter with the bioballs would be fine. If you are doing a reef, I would remove everything from the trickle filter (or better yet sell it and start with a new tank and customize it).

Also, you don't really need that much liverock. I would say get 50lbs or so of good quality live rock and use base rock for the rest. Over time the base rock will become live rock anyway. You'll save yourself a lot of cash as well.

woodcarver
10-30-2005, 04:55 PM
??

Biotech
10-30-2005, 05:09 PM
I do not know much about your skimmers, but I have seen discussions in reefcentral that people with large tanks uses 2 skimmers - one for wet foam and one to collect dry foam. Kind of a neat idea to me.

woodcarver
10-30-2005, 05:53 PM
??

mr_alberta
10-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Did I miss something? Why is there all this talk about Ozone suddenly in this thread? :confused:

dunl
10-30-2005, 07:06 PM
What exactly does ozone have to do with using one or two skimmers?

Skimmerking
10-30-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm lost here too Harvey i think we bought missed something.

mike :confused:

woodcarver
10-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Sorry guys should have been in next thread .How do you switch ,just re-post ???

dunl
10-31-2005, 12:23 AM
I'm not trying to be rude, but how exactly do you reply to the wrong thread? As in, how is it possible to reply to a thread different from the one you are reading? :eek:

woodcarver
10-31-2005, 06:49 AM
Rudy ,Again sorry for accidently messing with your thread ,must have had too much wine with dinner :redface: :redface:
Please carry on guys ,its interesting stuff..............

Dave.

rudy
10-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Rudy ,Again sorry for accidently messing with your thread ,must have had too much wine with dinner
Please carry on guys ,its interesting stuff..............

No worries. Every question I have ever had about the ozone was answered there. From now on I will not burn plastic bags..... :lol:

woodcarver
11-01-2005, 03:32 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: