PDA

View Full Version : underwater adhesive

StirCrazy
09-07-2002, 04:41 AM
I was just watching Jon eeks and he demonstrated a cool product and I went to his home page to get more info on it.. this is from his page

"Then there is the easy to find PL Premium construction adhesive that you can find in most renovation centres. This is a polyurethane adhesive, which means that it sets by reaction to moisture in the air, not by any solvent evaporation or chemical reaction to a two part catalyst. It too wets right onto the surface under water, although not quite as easily as the WetBond so you need to be sure it is rubbed onto the surface and not just sitting there with a film of water between the adhesive and the pipe. Since water is what causes it to harden, it just loves it under water. Not having to mix it can help in under water applications, in fact you could dive in with a caulking gun. Because it is non toxic, you can even repair something in a fish tank, or the tank itself, without removing the fish."

has anyone else heard of this or used it? it looks like it might be something worth getting if this is all true.

Steve

Bryan
09-08-2002, 07:27 AM
I couldn't find the article on the web page. What episode and season or the link. I do recall the PL brand of adhesive is commonly available at Home Depot. Will check it out tomorrow.

StirCrazy
09-08-2002, 12:42 PM
the episode is # 05-164 or here is the link
http://www.joneakes.com/cgi-bin/searchdb.cgi?type=tv&season=05&episode=164

Is it possible to repair leaky pipes under water?
is the heading

Steve

Bryan
09-23-2002, 05:43 AM
I picked up a tube of this stuff at Hope Depot, just as I was opening it up to test it in my tank I noticed on the label it contained petroleum distillates. I don't think this is something I should be adding to the tank, but then petroleum distillates might be a component of all adhesives.