PDA

View Full Version : Kole Tang and Purple Tang...together in 65g?????

Chaloupa
10-30-2005, 04:53 AM
I am thinking, for my "stupid freakin algae" to add, as someone suggested my Purple Tang to my 65g hex reef. The problem or question that I have is; will there be much aggression between the 2 or should I remove the Kole and just replace with Purple? Or what??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. My Purple Tang is my main concern for its happiness :redface:

Psyire
10-30-2005, 05:20 AM
If you are adding the Tang in hopes of it reducing algae, that's a bad idea. You want to reduce your bioload and increase your nutrient export if you want to get rid of the algae. 2x Tangs in a 65g is also pushing it, IMO.

Chaloupa
10-30-2005, 05:23 AM
I kind of thought I would be pushing it a bit...but he keeps his own tank SO picked clean of algae that I thought he may help as the Kole does nothing but leave kissy marks on the glass if he finds any algae there at all....I have had a few suggestions on trying to deal with my hair algae and this was one that was suggested to me...thanks for your input!! :smile:

EmilyB
10-30-2005, 07:29 AM
Kole tangs eat diatomous algae from the glass and rocks, yes.

Skimmerking
10-30-2005, 11:50 AM
There is lots of ways to get rid of that crap.
First have a refugium set aside to export tha nutrients in the main tank.

Or get a sea hare (Bad idea when all the algea is gone it will die).

Do more water changes hoping to expel the nutrients. Or get a algae blenny small fish tha will graze on the rock for ya.
Or a phosban reactor to help out too.

a purple tang and a kole tang are 2 of the agressive ones out there in tangs

Chaloupa
10-30-2005, 03:28 PM
I have tried a Sea Hare and I found it very difficult to keep (ok yah it died), I have a Phosban Reactor on the tank, I have a small sump but no fuge as there is no space for one, I water change every 10 days but am not using RO water as I have heard conflicting stories...but hey I am going to try that next...but I thought if I switched out the Kole Tang for the Purple Tang or put them together he might do a better job of cleaning it up as his tank is spotless and he is always picking at algae, I appreciate the input guys (and girls :biggrin: ) keep them coming.....here's my previous post!
I have been battling algae in my reef....the pic...looks like all my rocks. There is no way I can tear it all apart and redo it. I have mushrooms and corals placed in too many places. I have decreased my feeding, and I have a Phosban Reactor that has been in place for 4+ weeks. I have a Kole Tang, Bicolor Blenny and had a Lawnmower Blenny-none have touched it so I go in every week and pick it off to the best I can. Any suggestions on how to deal with it? I have a Purple Tang in my FOWLR awaiting my next reef...do you think that if I switched out Tangs that he may help?
- I have a 65g hex, Coralife Aqualight Pro, Remora Pro Skimmer, sump, overflow, 70lbs live rock, small crush coral substrate
- 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate, 380 Ca, 10-11 ALK, 1200 Mag, T 80-81, 2 Maxijets for flow, plus the return pump that I can't remember what the flow is...we water change every 10-14 days BUT don't use RO water...lots of mixed input on that...
- I do have the tank fairly stocked;5 blue legged hermits, 4 BG Chromis, 1 Kole Tang, 1 Yellow Watchman Gobie, 1 Bicolor Blenny, 1 Cherub Pygmy Angel, 1 Female Mandarin Dragonette, 1 Yellow Gobie, 2 Cleaner shrimp and 1 Coral Banded, many corals and shrooms and a few zoos. HELP! I don't know how to make it bigger.....hope this is ok....any help is VERY appreciated! I have also had 2 Seahares and not had them survive...they are definately not starving!
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1706P1010218-med.JPG

StirCrazy
10-30-2005, 03:31 PM
two tangs in that small of a tank is just askin for trouble. the best way to rid that is to start pulling rocks one or two at a time and scrub the hell out of them after you pick them clean. but even then it will come back as the calurpa and such put long filiment roots deep into the rock and they grow back.

Steve