PDA

View Full Version : Fans for DIY hood

Samw
09-22-2002, 03:03 AM
I wasn't satisfied with the canopy that came with my 10G tank so I've decided to make my own hood with 2x32W Custom Sea Life PC Retrofit kits which I bought today cheap from a LFS.

I plan to add a couple of muffin fans. Where's the best place to get these?

I had a nice little tingle this evening as I touched a live wire from my PC light fixture. I knew there's a reason why I don't like DIY.

I'm going to use fireproof plywood for the hood. For some reason, I don't like the idea of using normal wood for these things.

smile.gif

[ 22 September 2002, 01:26: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Bryan
09-22-2002, 04:22 AM
Didn't know there was such as thing as fireproof plywood?

StirCrazy
09-22-2002, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Bryan:
Didn't know there was such as thing as fireproof plywood?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well ya.. thats the kind that you keep under water.. guarenteed not to burn ;)

Steve

Samw
09-22-2002, 04:59 AM
Yup. Not many people know about it. I got mine from Dick's Lumber in Burnaby. They carry the Dricon brand. I've held a match to this brand of wood and also put it over a gas stove and it doesn't catch on fire.

http://www.dricon.com/

I'll probably use the fireproof plywood only for the panel that the reflectors are attached to. I'll build the rest of the canopy with normal wood. What's everyone's favorite wood for canopies? Oak?

StirCrazy
09-22-2002, 05:03 AM
Sam is it fire proof or fire rated? I have never heard of fire proof wood but I have heard of fire rated wood (which means you could put it over a flame for say 30 min befor it would catch fire.)

either way if it is much more expensive I wouldent spend the extra money.. and even if it was about the same price I would be a little leary about the chemicals used to fireproof it and worry about them getting into the tank.

Steve

Samw
09-22-2002, 05:21 AM
Fire resistant, Fire retardant treated, etc. Its fireproof for 30 minutes. smile.gif From what I read on their website, there was no signs of combustion after 30 minutes. It has a flame spread index of 15 which is the same as gypsum wallboard. So that's pretty good.

I did think about the chemical issue. But I'll seal it with several coats of paint.

Yes, it is a bit pricier than normal wood. But I already have some left over so I may as well use it.

The fans from Icecap are like $60 so I'm hoping to get a better deal elsewhere. What makes them so expensive?

Oh, I'm reading through some old posts now about fans. I see some from Radio Shack and Computer stores. I'm not a DIY'er so I don't know what I'm doing. smile.gif Can I wire the fans up to the switch on my retro kit?

[ 22 September 2002, 01:48: Message edited by: Sam W ]

StirCrazy
09-22-2002, 05:58 AM
ya it is fairly simple.. two wires if you get Ac fans you can wire them to the same plug as you lights so when your lights are on the fans are on..

Steve

Reef_Ready
09-23-2002, 01:33 AM
Sam, I used the 3" AC fan from Radio Shack for my nano hood and it works great. I paid $28 for that one so it's still kinda big $$$$. I'd bet a used computer fan would do the trick just as well if you were looking for a cheaper alternative.

Reef_Ready
09-23-2002, 01:36 AM
Forgot to mention that I have 2X55 watt PCs and a workhorse 7 in the hood and it doesn't raise the temp at all.

200gal
12-01-2002, 07:23 PM
I found a fan nearly identical to the one that came in my metal halide flourescent hood. Bought it at Princess Auto in Saskatoon for 12.00 dollars. I think this fan makes the same amount of noise as the fans that are in my existing hood. I am told that the IC fans are quieter but have never heard one running yet.

reefburnaby
12-01-2002, 08:47 PM
Hi,

Fire retardent wood - I would check what type of retardent they are using. Some types are not heathy for you or the tank.

Say...are you going to use fire retardent paint and polyurethane ?

- Victor.

Samw
12-01-2002, 09:50 PM
Hi,

Fire retardent wood - I would check what type of retardent they are using. Some types are not heathy for you or the tank.

Say...are you going to use fire retardent paint and polyurethane ?

- Victor.

Victor. Its Dricon.

http://www.dricon.com/

I painted 3 layers of General Paint's White Marine Paint on the interior. On the exterior, I applied a layer of Formica Laminate.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use a glass cover now.

christyf5
12-03-2002, 03:33 AM
Hey,
I also got the fans for my hood from Radioshack. I think they were about $40 or so. They're 4.5 inch ones.

Christy :)